Finding the Best Hostel in New York for Traveling Canadians
Deciding which is the best hostel in New York for Canadian travelers depends on individual personal preferences and needs. There are a lot of these reasonably priced accommodations for the traveler to choose from when visiting New York. Hostels have their own personalities and tend to attract like-minded visitors, so the best way to decide which one is best might be to try a variety.
Differences Between a Hostel and a Hotel
Hotels are more expensive than hostels because they offer services that are not available in a hostel. Services you will not find at a hostel include:
- Room service
- Daily maid service
- 24 hour access to your room
What you will find at a hostel is:
- Dormitory style sleeping areas (although some have private rooms at additional cost)
- Shared bathrooms
- Community cooking area, usually including shelf space in a refrigerator
- Common areas for socializing
Other Services Offered by the Best Hostels in New York
- Self-service laundry facilities
- Flat screen TV and Internet access
Hostels are often located in central areas where hotel costs are highest making them an attractive lodging option. Hostel stays also offer the traveler an easy way to meet others who are traveling and to share information and experiences with them.
Best Hostel in New York
The following hostels are only a few of the many in New York City.
- The Jane Hotel in West Village is a newly renovated old boardinghouse that once lodged sailors and survivors from the Titanic shipwreck. The tiny rooms are decked out to resemble ship cabins giving the place a period decor that you will not find at every hostel. Prices start at $79.
- The Williamsburg hostel on Bedford Ave in Brooklyn is located within a block of several pubs and famous burger joints making it a popular stay for student travelers. Prices start at $69.
- The American Dream Hostel is centrally located on 24th between Lexington and 3rd near New York University and Union Square. Prices start at $55.
- The New York Loft Hostel is in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn and has three separate dormitories for men, women and mixed lodging. Prices start at $45.
- The Broadway Hostel in Upper West Side has small, shared rooms and a cultural center with a library and fireplace. Prices start at $24.
Hostels can be a fun and inexpensive way to travel in another country. Some people who are exploring immigration options take advantage of what staying at a hostel has to offer. If your search for the best hostel in New York
is connected to immigration plans, consider using our services for information on immigration and legal matters
for Canadians traveling to the U.S.