No matter if you're travelling for business or for a vacation, you need to make sure that you are keeping your self safe when you are abroad.Â While bad things can happen anywhere, being in a different country can cause more problems.
Here are easy ways to keep safe:
1. Dress conservatively - If you want to look like a target, dress in your best clothing.Â Thieves will think that you have things that are valuable to them.Â Try to dress casually, but nicely.
2. Bring extra medications with you - In case you get stranded somewhere, always be sure to bring extra prescriptions with you.
3. Get required inoculations - Check with the tourism boards of places that you are travelling to see if immunizations are suggested or required.
4. Pack light and leave valuables at home - Thieves can't steal it if you don't bring it with you.Â Try to only bring the essentials with you.Â The iPod and laptop can stay at home unless you really need it.
5. Don't carry a lot of money - You should only bring traveller's checks and credit cards with you when you travel.Â These are harder to use if they are stolen and easier to replace.
6. Invest in a shoulder wallet - By keeping your checks and credit cards close to your body, it will be harder for a pickpocket to take them from you.Â These wallets go under your shirt or jacket so that thieves can not just take your wallet from your back pocket.
7. Keep money and traveller's checks separate - Try to keep your traveller's checks in one place, but your credit cards in another.Â If a thief takes one of them, at least you'll have the other.
8. Get a calling card - If you need to make an emergency call, you may not be able to rely on your cell phone.
9. Stay in larger hotels on the second to seventh floors - These floors are accessible to emergency crews and are also easier to evacuate from should you need to.Â By staying on the second floor, you also make it more difficult for thieves.
10. Stay alert - The best advice for anyone is to always be aware of your surroundings and trust any â€˜bad feelings' that you might have.Â If you think that something is not right, it may not be.Â It's best to leave that situation to be safe.
Related External Links