2 Canadians wanting to move to Hawaii

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.

Moderator: visaplace.com

Sullivan22New Member
Topic author

2 Canadians wanting to move to Hawaii

Post Wed May 07, 2008 2:36 pm

My husband and I (both Canadian citizens) recently purchased a vacation condo in Maui and love it so much that we're thinking of moving there. We have no 'ins' so to speak, but I have a Bachelor of Commerce degree and several years' experience in advertising and he has several years' experience in executive level management for a large company but no university degree. What, if any, are our options?
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Wed May 07, 2008 11:07 pm

You might be able to get TN-1, have a look at the NAFTA occupation list that fit your qualifications and apply for jobs in Hawaii that are in those occupations. Or you can do an E-2 and start up a business there. TN-1 is a lot less hassle than an E-2 though. But you're tied to an employer with TN-1, and there's always the risk the USCIS might decide you're not there "temporarily" anymore.
Steve.
mcainesNew Member

Re: 2 Canadians wanting to move to Hawaii

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:24 am

Hello,

I'm a new member to this forum and I'm looking for some advice.

My wife and I live in New Brunswick and would like to live/work in Hawaii for a couple of years. I have an MBA and just received my CMA (accounting designation).

I'm looking to understand how to go about this. Should I be applying for a US work permit before I start the job search? Or should I try and get a job with a Hawaii employer and have them sponsor my application? Or are there other approaches that would better?

Cheers!
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:12 am

Unless you want to start up a business there on E-2 (or EB-5 if you're loaded) you need an employer to sponsor you, from the sounds of it you would qualify as an accountant on the NAFTA list, so you would be looking at TN-1 which basically requires a detailed job offer letter from the employer in order to get it.

Both E and TN-1 are non-immigrant categories, which means you must maintain non-immigrant intent though. With E that's pretty simple, basically it just means you intend to leave if the business shuts down, TN-1 requires the stay to be "temporary" and it's pretty much the discretion of CBP as to what that means.

There are about a jazillion threads on here about E-2 and TN-1 so have a look through them.
Steve.
charmpeachNew Member

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Well Congrats, But he may never be able to work! I have been in US for 7 years kids now 17,18 and husband with no degree desired by TN visa list. So I am only one employed. I want to go back to Canada but this is my kids home. BE careful!
David TorontoNew Member

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:33 pm

I've operated an advertising/publishing company in Canada (Toronto and Greater Toronto Area) for the past 5 years. It's been incredibly profitable and I'm looking towards expansion into the Sates. I'm currently looking for individuals who can help me launch into the US as either franchisees or employees.

You can reach me at 416-916-2183.

David Lee, Toronto
Leloup01New Member

Post Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Hello,

I live in Montreal and would like to live/work in Hawaii me too :P . I actually have a job and there is a possibility that my company let me do my job from Hawaii. I would like to know if the US will consider this as starting a business and therefore complete the E-2 form because I am not a self worker.

Cheers!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!