Am I eligible for British citizenship via my UK born mother

All questions and topics related to UK work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.
quietmonkeyNew Member
Topic author

Am I eligible for British citizenship via my UK born mother

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:02 pm

This question must have been asked numerous times. My mother was born in Bristol, England in 1918 (my father was born in Montreal in 1913). I was born in Montreal in 1952. Am I eligible for British citizenship via my mother? Thank you in advance.
cordobamanSenior Member

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:11 am

You are entitled to "Right of Abode" via your mother; a much easier path to negociate than Ancestry- you still apply for it but you don't require biometrics.
KnowfoolinNew Member

from passport website

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Who is eligible for a UK passport

2. Descent from a parent

(b) Through the Mother

.Before the introduction of the British Nationality Act 1981 (effective 1 January 1983) a female born in the UK could not automatically pass on citizenship to her children.

On 7 February 1979 the government announced that a new Nationality Act would be introduced on 1 January 1983 allowing all children born on or after this date to claim citizenship automatically from a mother born in the UK.

However, the Act would not be retroactive and children born before the effective date would not benefit. In the meantime, a mother could apply for any child who was still a minor (under 18) to be registered as a British citizen at the discretion of the Secretary of State.

Many British women resident overseas were unaware of the announcement in 1979 and missed the opportunity to apply for citizenship on behalf of their minor children. Consequently, an amendment to the British Nationality Act 1981 has now been put into effect allowing all persons who would have been under 18 on the date of the announcement (7 February 1979) to register now.

All those born overseas to a British mother between 7 February 1961 and 31 December 1982 are now eligible to register as British citizens retroactively.

Those persons not born between the relevant dates cannot apply for registration. But, a commonwealth citizen with a mother born in the UK may have the right of abode and can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode allowing entry into the UK for work and residence purposes.
goliathNew Member

Re: from passport website

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:22 pm

[hello ,how are you,plz if you can helpe to know about myself.my granmother is a britsish citizen but she is lebanese ori,she got citizenshi p from her husband who got citizen ship from the princess of uk directly in addan.cvan my grand mother give her daughter(my mother) the uk citizenship.thank you.if yes ,how she can and what we have to do.
canuck_in_caliJunior MemberUser avatar

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:27 am

That explains why my mother scrambled to get us our citizenships before we turned 18 (I was born in 1980). I know a lot of people who missed that chance, nice to see it was extended.
Peace is the respect for the rights of others. (El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz ).

Benito Juarez (1806-1872)
nat61New Member

2009 citizenship act removes 1961 cut-off point

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 am

The new Form UKM on the ukba website now allows you to apply.
chelle61New Member

Re: Am I eligible for British citizenship via my UK born mother

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm

I have been interested in getting my Canadian-UK Dual Citizenship. I was born in 1991 in Canada. My mom, though she lives in Canada, is still a UK citizens as is my Grandad. I've read mixed answers to this question. Some say that I am automatically a british citizen due to my mother still being one. Do any of you know whether this allows me to get my Dual Citizenship? If so, how do I go about doing that?! Do I need to call someone or what? I really have no idea how to even begin going about this, so any advice would be wonderful. I`m more so asking about who I am supposed to call to find out information?
mum22canucksNew Member
Topics: 1

Re: Am I eligible for British citizenship via my UK born mot

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:47 pm

agnelson wrote:The question has nothing to do with your mother "still" being citizen. She was never in jeopardy of losing her UK citizenship.

It has more to do with the regs that were in force at the time of your birth and after.

Because you were born AFTER 1982 to a british-born mother, you are automatically a UK citizen and need only apply for a passport.

If you had been born BEFORE 1983, you would have to register and undergo a background check and citizenship ceremony.

If your father had been british-born and married to your mother, it would have not have made any difference when you were born: you would be automatic citizen.

In any event, your UK citizenship is non-transmissable to any children you have, unless they are born in UK (or have a UK-born or naturalized father).

Is this still valid today? I am trying to figure out my two daughters, who are 6 & 16 months. All the rules etc. are so confusing.

Thanks,

C
whatpassportNew Member

Re: Am I eligible for British citizenship via my UK born mot

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:04 pm

British Citizenship through Mother can be confusing at times. This resource will help you determine if you qualify
http://www.whatpassport.com/countries/A ... ationality
sbignell0821New Member

Grandparents and mother born in the UK

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Could someone please answer this question:

My maternal grandparents and mother were all born in the UK. My grandparents and mother migrated to Canada in 1952. I was born in 1970.

I am currently married to a British citizen, who lives in the UK. I live in Canada and I'm thinking about moving to the UK to be reunited with my husband however he's currently unemployed and therefore I'm assuming unable to sponsor me because of that.

What citizenship/visa should I be applying for (i.e. UK Ancestry, Right of Abode, dual citizenship)?

Also, I have a 14 year old son (my husband is not my son's biological father however I have sole custody and his father is in agreement with us moving to the UK - he is not currently involved in my son's life on a regular basis). What citizenship/visa should he apply for (i.e. UK Ancestry using my mother's information?)? And, my son has special needs (non-verbal-Autism) - would they deny his application based on his disability? What information would I need from my son's father to ensure my son is able to accompany me to the UK on a permanent basis?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!