Applying for canadian citizenship for my daughter

Canadian Expats and travelers in Australia and New Zealand can communicate with each other here!
imran_naziaNew Member
Topic author

Applying for canadian citizenship for my daughter

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:56 am

Hi,

Can anyone please advise the procedure for applying for Canadian citizenship for your kid.

I am a Canadian citizen & my daughter was born in Australia & has an Australian passport,

how can i apply for her Canadian passport/citizenship?

Does Canada allow dual citizenship?

Regards,
Dr.Nazia Imran
comet555CanuckAbroad VIP

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:44 am

Yes, Canada allows dual citizenship.

I'm not sure if you need to get your child citizenship first or if you can go straight to a passport (I suspect citizenship first).

Here's some contact info. They should be able to help.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... sydney.asp
imran_naziaNew Member
Topic author

citizenship

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 am

I think you need to get citizenship first then passport.
i will have a look at the link .

Regards.
fwebsterNew Member

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:07 pm

Although Canada recognizes dual citizenship, Australia does not allow Australian's by birth to hold both an Australian and Canadian passport. Funnily enough, if you were born in Canada and acquired Australian citizenship by descent, you can have both citizenships and both passports I would suggest you check with the Australian consulate general or passport office before you apply as applying for a Canadian Passport/citizenship may mean forfeiting her Australian citizenship.
TracyfromOntarioNew Member

Re: Applying for canadian citizenship for my daughter

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Hello

I am a Canadian and have moved to Australia about a year ago. I have looked this specific topic up because I am expected and I want dual citizenship for the babe. Here is a number to call 0293643050, should help you out its based out of Sidney (Canadian Immigration).

Hope it helps

Tracy
MeaganNew Member

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:42 pm

Your daughter can apply for Canadian Citizenship and she will NOT loose her Australian citizenship! I, myself, am proof of it. I obtained Canadian Citizenship 2 years ago and I am still a Australian citizen holding both passports.

The law called Section 17, which meant Australians could not obtain another citizenship without forfeiting their Australian Citizenship was finally repealed on 4th April 2002. Australia now does allow dual citizenship!

You can obtain more info on the Canadian citizenship process through Canadian Immigration and Citizenship (CIC).
rustyNew Member

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:04 pm

Yes Canada gives dual citizenship.

As long as you have a heartbeat you qualify to be Canadian.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!