Applying through Father--but he's lost his Passports

All questions and topics related to UK work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.
KrystinaCanuckAbroad Regular
Topic author
Topics: 2

Applying through Father--but he's lost his Passports

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I've been going crazy looking for info on this, so if anyone has had experience, do share. I appreciate it.

I am applying as a person born outside the UK before 1983. I am using my paternal line.

I've got everything all set up. Except! My dad loses everything... I was on a passport of his 26 years back. The guidelines say I need to include it. Does he have it? No! And I need to include his "original" passport of 36 years back. Does he have it? Nope.

But in all fairness, who keeps passports for decades anyway? Is it vital that I submit these documents? Don't they have them on file, or something? Would they reject my application without them? There is word that I'll have to file a police report for the missing passports. But my dad doesn't know the passport numbers. Is there anyone I can talk to at IPS--some number that's not going to charge my Visa--like they suggest on their website. Help!!!

Kris
porticoSuper Member
Topics: 11

Re: Applying through Father--but he's lost his Passports

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Krystina, let me try to help simplify this for you without all the worry.

The passportoffice knows and understands folks dont keep old passports - if you dont have it, there isn't anythng you can do about it.

On the C1 application form under section 2 its asks 'for your fathers Passport & its number - if he has one'

Suggestion, simply apply with the following

1 Your full [not the small card] Canadian birth certificate (based on you were born in Canada), which is called registration of birth that shows you father & mothers place of birth on it.
1a. If you were not born in Canada but somewhere else - the same thing - a long form birth certificae as in 1, above
2. Original (not a copy) of your parents marriage certifcate
3. Your fathers long form birth certificate which shows his place of birth dates etc + it also has on it your paternal grandparents names

Thats about it. Just send all originals 1-3 + whatever else is beng asked for on the C1 form & do not worry about your fathers lost passport

From the long birth certificates of you & your father the passport office can gel everything together.

Trust this helps
Disclaimer: I am not an immigration expert & anything that I post on visa & immigration is based soley on more than 30 years of personal experience & interaction with the UKBA & Home office.
Topic author

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks Portico. It does seem rather cut and dry. However, directly on the US/Canada site it indicates that those born outside the UK before 01/01/1983 MUST include:

>a photocopy of current ID AND
>original birth cert AND
>father's long version birth cert/marriage cert AND
>father's original British passport

I have everything but his original passport (and the other passport I mentioned, but maybe I don't need to worry so much about that one). It seems pretty important to include, but unfortunately it's difficult to contact IPS. I wonder if anyone has applied through this criteria and failed to include the original passport. What happened, if anything? Maybe I should just supply his current passport?
Topic author

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 am

It seems rather lucky that no one's had any trouble with this--to supply your father's original passport might be difficult for those born before 1983 (it's a while back).

I'll do as you recommend. If there are any problems, I'll post them here so that others may know for the future.

Thanks!
porticoSuper Member
Topics: 11

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:14 am

You should be OK Krystina.

Dont forget it must be your long form birth certiicate (registraion of birth if born in Canada)

My wife born in the 1940's applied first for registration as a British citizenship through the maternal line (via UKM registration in 2010) then for her first British passport in 2011.

She was also worried about not having her mothers last British passport from the 1960's.

She did just as I laid out in my post above for her registration as well as for her passport application.

Agree with VisaWise its a good idea to include a small note explaining why you do not have your dad's old passport

Good luck & do let us know how you made out
Disclaimer: I am not an immigration expert & anything that I post on visa & immigration is based soley on more than 30 years of personal experience & interaction with the UKBA & Home office.
Topic author

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks Portico. I'm glad you've had experience in this situation. It's a positive sign.

I'll submit everything on Tuesday. Looking forward to the result!!!!

Kris
Topic author

Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:23 pm

agnelson wrote:the birth cert is the key. I applied with No father's UK passport included. It IS cut-and-dried.

Awesome!
Topic author

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:34 pm

I got it! It only took 3 weeks. It's so beautiful. I'm very very happy^^ Thanks everyone.
YVRtoLHRCanuckAbroad Regular
Topics: 3

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:07 pm

congrats Krystina!!! 3 weeks is GREAT!
I hope I have a similarly quick turnaround, citizenship ceremony & sending off my passport application this Thursday!
Topic author

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Thank you. Actually, now that I calculate it better, it was 4 weeks--duh. But still, pretty good. Are you applying for Canadian citizenship?

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!