Border Crossing Problems

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

ApegirlNew Member
Topic author

Border Crossing Problems

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Hello, any sort of help on this topic would be most appreciated.

My boyfriend lives in Seattle, I live in Vancouver. For four years we have been regularly crossing the border to see each other (every month or so). This summer we were stopped at the border and I was not allowed to proceed because we had a car full of crap and they thought I was trying to move to the US, which is laughably far from the truth (I'm trying to get HIM to move HERE). It was not a pleasant experience, as you can imagine. After fingerprinting, mugshots and humiliating, agressive treatment I was sent back. I gathered the information they requested over the next few weeks (lease, insurance, letters from work) and made another attempt. After 3 hours they finally, grudgingly let me in. My question is this - is there any way to avoid getting the third degree every time I want to cross the border? Will I be delayed like this every time? I don't have a car, so getting through by Amtrak or Greyhound is very problematic, as I don't want to hold up hundreds of people.

Will getting a lawyer help? A Nexus pass? I'm at the point where I never want to try it again.

Thanks again.
g-opCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:55 pm

A lawyer cannot help you as every time you try to enter the US you can be subjected to questioning as to the reason and length of your trip. Under Law you are not even allowed to have a Lawyer present during you inspection by border officials. I would suggest you continue to bring up to date evidence of where you live as you have been previously not allowed to enter as they believed you may intend to stay. Also if you have filed any documents with canada showing you intend to have him immigrate to canada as you claim could help your case.

Good luck.
Reba

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:18 pm

Once you're flagged you're always flagged unfortunately.

And you wouldn't hold up hundreds of people on a train, they'd just go on without you!
ApegirlNew Member
Topic author

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Thsnks for your replies. It's what I suspected, unfortunately.

One can hold up a whole bus for an hour or more at the border - I've seen it done. And if they turn you back on the train to Seattle you'll have to hitchike home from the tracks as there is only one train a day.
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:26 pm

How are you crossing now, with a DL? Getting a NEXUS card won't help if you're using a passport. If you're just using a DL and a birth certificate there is a small possibility they may not match you up if next time you use a passport.

But like Reba said, once refused, always a hassle. I had a friend in an almost identical situation to yours, she got so mad she just dragged her bf home from Bellingham after having been sat at the border for hours and married him the next day.

Although he still had to go home and wait months for his visa. :lol:
Steve.
ApegirlNew Member
Topic author

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Steven,

I got my passport when my boyfriend and I started seeing each other, 4 years ago, in anticipation of more stringent laws. I've been crossing my "t"s and dotting my "i"s the whole time, which is the most annoying aspect of this.

Wonder what would happen if I tried to go through with just my DL and Birth Certificate?
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 pm

Well you've got until June to find out.
Steve.
michael.nirenNew MemberUser avatar

Re: Border Crossing Problems

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:22 am

Hi All. Problems crossing the Canadian Border is becoming a more frequent complaint we get. If you have a criminal record even a DUI or assault charge and even if its an old charge, you still may be considered inadmissible to the US. You may need what we call a TRP or a Temporary Resident Permit. For more information on TRPs you can go here http://www.visaplace.com/canadian-immig ... -to-canada

If your issue is crossing into the USA, then you may been a Waiver and have to complete the I-192 form. Waiver applications can take a few months to process and if you are lucky you can get a 5 year waiver.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!