Can a Canadian live in USA and work in Canada?

Talk about anything, with anyone, here.
workincanadaNew Member
Topic author

Can a Canadian live in USA and work in Canada?

Post Sun May 30, 2010 12:09 pm

We currently live in Canada and my wife may be transferred to the US. I work for a canadian company and my questions are;
-would I be able to live in the US and work for the canadian company?
- If this is possible is there restrictions on how often I would be able to cross between US & Canada (Would it be allowed to cross once per month or two for a week)?
- would i pay taxes in one or both countries?
Thank-you
workincanadaNew Member
Topic author

Re: Can a Canadian live in USA and work in Canada?

Post Sun May 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Thank-you for the information.
The company has not US activity and would not benefit from my being in the US.
If I remained an employee and lived in the US for 3 weeks per month (working by phone and email) and traveled to Canada for 1 week per month where would I need to pay taxes?
workincanadaNew Member
Topic author

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Thank-you I did receive your answer however I do not quite understand and am just hoping to clarify.

- I would not be working for a US company however would be working remotely contacting Canadian companies and canadian contacts while living in the US (I would be working for a canadian company doing remote sales) - is this scenario possible and would I pay taxes in the US or Canada?

Thank-you again for your help.
bobkerryNew Member

Post Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Hello....You ca work for that canadian company only if the company itself allows you to work...If according to teh company's rules and regulation you are not allowed to work for that canadian company while living in US then you should not work for that company while living in US
SwedeChariotNew Member

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm in a similar situation: my wife's company wants her to move to the US, I believe under a TN Visa. I want to keep working for my Canadian employer while living in the US. My company does not have any branch offices in the US, however we do serve clients based in the US. Does that count as "US activity"?

Second, it appears from this post that I would be taxed twice: once by the IRS and once by the Canada Revenue Agency/my province. Is that correct? Would I really pay full marginal rates two times? If so, it sounds like my better option would be to switch to a contract arrangement with my employer, whereupon I'll be taxed only by the IRS. Is it really as easy as that (assuming my employer is game)?

Lastly, we plan to keep our house in Canada and rent it out. However, if the above approach doesn't work out, is there a scenario whereby I can maintain Canadian residence (i.e. NOT rent out my house) and divide my time between Canada and the US? To maintain residency status, is there a minimum amount of time I need to spend here? I'm talking about a legal, above-board solution here – I'm not interested in breaking any laws or incurring any risk.
SwedeChariotNew Member

Post Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks, I'll check out your forum.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!