can a Canadian receive social security from the us

Latest additions and features found here, and please make suggestions!
dupuisNew Member
Topic author

can a Canadian receive social security from the us

Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:49 pm

I worked in the us under a e2 visa and paid ss and medicare, and have my 40 quarters in , I applied for ss but was denied because i do not have a green card or resident status I am a Canadian citizen but live in us 6 month as a winter visiter . I still pay us taxes as all my income comes from the us , Is there any thing i can do to receive ss or medicare , I am soon to be 65 and retired . Is it possible to receive the money that i paid in to the system if i cant get any benefits . I need help thanks
snow_angelJunior Member
Topics: 1

Re: can a Canadian receive social security from the us

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 pm

I worked in the US on a T1 visa for 2 years. There is an agreement between the US and Canada where the money that you pay into for SS in the US is "held" by your employer and it is then given to the Canadian SS system. There is a form that you and your employer must fill out which is on the Canadian Income tax website. Talk with someone from the Canadian international tax department. Form what I understand is that this form must be filled out before any money is collected and once the money is sent to the US SS than you have lost it and cannot access it unless you are a US citizen or have a green card etc. I did believe my dad when he told me this because I could not find the form and my emploter knew nothing about it so now it is too late for me and now I lost the 2 years of SS collected. At least that is what the Canadian international income tax people told me.
snow_angelJunior Member
Topics: 1

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 am

That is good to know. I guess time will tell whether I can collect anything in 35 years. The "T1" was a typo I had a TN Visa.
sunriserNew Member

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:17 pm

I need your expertise to compute the number of quarters that I can qualify to receive U.S. Social Security (40 Quarters) when I turn 62 as a Canadian who is still working in U.S.A.

No. of years that I have contributed to QPP (Quebec) is 6 years (1999 - 2005). Now that I have accumulated 20 quarters(5years) into the SSS. Would the 6 years with QPP count as 6 years into the U.S. Social Security ? so the total years I have contributed into the SSS is 6 + 5 = 11 years ?

Formula I have come up with is 6 yrs (24 quarters) + 5 yrs (20 quarters) = 44 quarters. Correct me if I am wrong. Your input is highly appreciated.
sunriserNew Member

Post Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Thank you for this reply.

I will be 62 years old in 15 yrs. I had been in an office management before 1999, took some more courses and got a job in US. From then on I purchased a property without giving it a second thought. Now realizing I shouldn't have done this because I am contemplating on returning to Canada. What are my best options ?

(1) Put it to sell on the market (given if the housing market goes smoothly);

(2) Open a Roth-IRA account and rollover my 401 K; there is a one-time tax for rolling over to roth directly from company to company or bank so I can be waived of 10% penalty before I leave. Is this correct ? will I report the tax in Canada or US ?
(3) Wait for my SS to mail to Canada in 15 years, assuming I haven't found work over these number of years (it will be in small amount though as has been anticipated). Do I expect the US government to mail me ?

Thank you for clarifying this, AGN.
sunriserNew Member

Post Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Thank you. I appreciate these useful informations. They are all going to be helpful to me.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!