Canadian Passport Photos in the US?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

RedWingsFanNew MemberUser avatar
Topic author

Canadian Passport Photos in the US?

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Can anyone recommend a good place to get Canadian Passport pictures that are shadow free. I've had 3 sets done and there is still this small shadow by my hair. Is it better to have them taken professionally in a studio to lessen the likelihood of shadows and other reasons why they'd reject it.
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Yes, in a word. I remember when I went to Kinko's to have the photos done for my EAD and they were hopeless.
Steve.
TNVisaExpertModerator

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Yes, this can be serious problem - getting good Canadian passport photos.

Not sure where you are located, but here are some points that may help you:

1. Canadian Passport photo size is different than American photo sizes. When you speak to a photo shop that states they do passport photos - ask them if they do Canadian passport photos. If they say, "Yes" ask them if the size is different and if they have done Canadian photos before. If they sound knowledgeable, then try them out.

2. You may be better off going to a small photo shop that specializes in Passport pics. Many cities have shops such as these - either in strip malls or shopping malls. Do not go to Costco or Kinkos -- they are just clerks not professionals who know about lighting etc.

Good Luck!
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Actually it wasn't my EAD, I checked, it was my UK passport. Haha, I still can't believe that they accepted that photo, all you can make out is my hair and my eyebrows the exposure is so overdone.

I had them professionally done after that, although I did get a good one done once at Eckerd's.
Steve.
mlacroixNew Member

Passport Photos in Chicago

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:44 pm

For Canadian Passport photos in Chicago, go to:

A Aaron Photography/Marshall Photographers
312-782-5151
9 N. Wabash
5th floor
Chicago

It’s an “old worldâ€
bessbirdNew Member

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Anyone know where to go for Canadian Passport Pictures in San Diego, California? Thanks in advance!
fotekpNew Member

Post Wed May 07, 2008 6:59 am

Ritz camera is a good place and they have stores throughout the US. They will also place the stamp on the back but hand write the date and address. I've done this a couple of weeks ago and got my new passport yesterday. It was fine as long as you keep the picture dimensions as needed
perkyjCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Wed May 07, 2008 11:29 am

fotekp wrote:Ritz camera is a good place and they have stores throughout the US. They will also place the stamp on the back but hand write the date and address. I've done this a couple of weeks ago and got my new passport yesterday. It was fine as long as you keep the picture dimensions as needed
How long did it actually take to get your passport from the time of mailing? Did you use a guarantor from the US? I'm nervous about starting the process and then having an emergency back home and no passport.
fotekpNew Member

Post Thu May 08, 2008 11:30 am

It took me about 3-4 weeks from the time I sent them. Mind you that it took about 4 days for the papers to get there by regular mail. You can fedex it to get there faster. Very important, the passport office is very anal about the pictures ie: shadows behind the ears in my case had to be retouched by the photographer
kylarNew Member

Photos

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:45 am

I had such issues getting them done here (San Jose, CA) that I ended up just waiting until the next time I went to Canada and did it there.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!