English Speaking Jobs in Germany?!?

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
CDNNew Member
Topic author

English Speaking Jobs in Germany?!?

Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:06 am

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this, hopefully someone can help me out. I intend on moving to Berlin (from Ottawa) with my bf in the fall and I am trying to find english speaking jobs in Germany and can't seem to find any relevant websites or job sites.

From what I heard, many companies operate in the English language within their headquarters. Any ideas as to how I should go about finding an English speaking job in Germany?
Thanks!
isaac7801New Member

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:20 am

sorry i dont have any info right now but i am also trying to find work in germany
what i have been doing is just going to www.google.de what u should do is try to obtain a work visa (not so easy) before u leave i am staying with my girlfreind in a smaller center outside of Köln and i did not figure anything out before i came so i think i will have to head back to toronto at the end of my 3 months to sort it all out
if i find anything else out i will let u know and if u do please let me know

canadian in germany
Duncan_BCCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:05 pm

There are NATO, Canadian and US forces bases that hire civilians. They operate in English.
CDNNew Member
Topic author

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi!
Thanks for the info. I guess you would consider me fairly prepared. I actually have dual citizenship (German passport) so I won't need a permit/visa. I'm aware of NATO and the Armed forces being stationed around Germany and having civilian english speaking jobs. I used to work for NATO in Belgium and it was the same deal. I wasn't able to find any positions in my field.

I guess there isn't anything specific out there on English speaking business jobs in Germany. If you ever find something, please let me know!

Thanks and good luck on your own search! ;)
Tek_GNew Member

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:11 am

Hello

I have found monster.com is a great site for finding English jobs in Germany. Also the Germans use jobpilot.de a lot. jobpilot does not have as many English jobs, but it is best not to be shy about applying in English anyway. Depending on the job lots of companies in Germany prefer English to German anyway.

Good luck.
scott2006New Member

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:00 pm

If you have children do not move to Germany. We're Canadian and our children speak good German and they are being destroyed by the education system. Racism is alive and well in Germany. If you're not German you will always be a second class person. Our children have lost two grades in school and yet in Canada they scored As. There is no such thing as an English speaking job. Germany has been teaching English in schools for over 40 years. Yet it is only entertainment for the Germans. This is not like Canada - you will not be excepted by the average public as being an equal. This is first hand knowledge from a Canadian who loves everyone from China to Jamaica. Think again and do your homework before you move to Germany.
Scott
wyattJunior Member

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:49 am

I have to agree with Scott the German education system is horrible at best but its not hopeless, my wife and I spend many hours a week making sure that our kids have properly learned the lessons taught in school.
My wife complained to me just yesterday about having to do the teachers job, the summer holidays have started and almost half the required material wasn’t taught. If I could afford it I would send them to private school.

But anyway, I don’t think finding a job here that does not require at least basic German skills will be all that easy. Unless you take a basic labor job. However if you hold a German Passport then after you have gotten established here (for example have your home address registered, gotten a social insurance number and so on) then you could march into the unemployment office and get help from them.
Don’t forget the Germans place a lot of value on a formal education which is kind of ironic considering the state of their education system.

Have a look at
http://www.monster.de/
http://www.kalaydo.de/iad/

Most of the major newspapers also have their job adverts on line.
SIGINTNew Member

Second Class People? WTF!

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:21 am

To Wyatt and Scott,

That is by far the biggest BS I have ever seen. I've been living in Germany now for almost 20 years, even went to school here with no problem what so ever. So how can you too rubber heads say something like that. First this is not very Canadian like and second I think you are a disgrace for even thinking like that. Basically you are saying that Germans are all racist, undereducated and treat Canadians like second class people? Are you out of your mind? I've worked with a lot of Germans even shared some shitty times with them in Afghanistan for our country and all I've seen is that even within their armed forces there was always a mixed culture present. Before you judge other countries by how they treat foreigners, start with ours first. Just take a walk in Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa and listen and hear how many people are racist in Canada. Man, I am really disappointed in your comments folks.
Those who like it.like it alot.
metalfan2405CanuckAbroad RegularUser avatar

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:04 am

Scott is right, the German education system is total crap and racism is common in Germany. The only way kids can get a good education in Germany is if they go to a Gymnasium or private school. The "Realschule" and "Hauptschule" are just day cares.
Its true, in some cases, you won't be accepted as an equal, you'll always be an "Ausländer" (foreigner), thats how Germany is divided in to, "the germans" and "the foreigners". I think it's because integration is very poor here and the germans are old fashioned, they don't know what globalization is, some still think that Canadians only belong in Canada and Germans in Germany and the French in France, you'll always be a guest in Germany.
I found that if you speak english to the Germans, you will be more respected than if you speak German to them. You're "spirier" then.
As for english jobs, they can be hard to come by. The best and fastest way is to get a job at an embassy or consulate of an english speaking country or the armed forces.
I don't want to scare you off, or make Germany look bad, but I have to tell you, it's different.
wyattJunior Member

Re: Second Class People? WTF!

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:37 am

SIGINT wrote:To Wyatt and Scott,

That is by far the biggest BS I have ever seen. I've been living in Germany now for almost 20 years, even went to school here with no problem what so ever. So how can you too rubber heads say something like that. First this is not very Canadian like and second I think you are a disgrace for even thinking like that. Basically you are saying that Germans are all racist, undereducated and treat Canadians like second class people? Are you out of your mind? I've worked with a lot of Germans even shared some shitty times with them in Afghanistan for our country and all I've seen is that even within their armed forces there was always a mixed culture present. Before you judge other countries by how they treat foreigners, start with ours first. Just take a walk in Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa and listen and hear how many people are racist in Canada. Man, I am really disappointed in your comments folks.

First of all I stand by statement that the German education system is "horrible", however I did not mention anything of the kind about Racism (because I have never personal experienced anything like that). FYI I have lived here for over 10 years and I went to school here too completing a German Ausbildung in computer programming at the age of 37. I also have 3 children in the system. If it were not for my (German) wife helping the kids with their homework and ensuring they understood the days lessons then at least one or more would end up in a Sonder school instead they are all bound for Gymnasium, So once again I will repeat what I said "I have to agree with Scott the German education system is horrible at best but its not hopeless"

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!