First Time British Passport Application

All questions and topics related to UK work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.
canbrit111New Member
Topic author
Topics: 1

First Time British Passport Application

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:39 am

Hi All,

I just received British Citizenship (through naturalisation) and am setting up to apply for my passport. From what I understand from the application process though I will need to send in my current Canadian passport with my application.

Does anyone know:

(a) if there is any way around this or if certified copies can be provided (it would appear not);
(b) if there is any way to apply for some type of fast track service (again it does not appear from the website that there is for first time applications);
(b) generally how long it takes to get your supporting documentation (i.e. Canadian Passport) returned to you - do they keep it for the duration of the process and return it when your application is approved or is it verified and sent back early.

I travel for work fairly regularly and the website suggests applications will take at least 6 weeks. I kind of assumed there must be a way around this because I would have thought work/travel is a fairly common problem for most expats applying for passports.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
jess1caNew Member
Topics: 1

Re: First Time British Passport Application

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 pm

I just got my first British Passport about a month ago from Dual Citizenship. I sent them a photo copy of my Canadian passport along with a copy of my driver's license. The only real documents I sent them were mine & my mum's long-version birth certificate & my parents marriage certificate. I sent it to washington express, which arrived in a day & a half, and I received my passport about a month later!
CramerNeNew Member

Re: First Time British Passport Application

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:47 am

Hello All,
Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to my question. My husband's mother was born in the UK and I am wondering whether my daughter can get a UK passport if my husband has one. Thanks

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!