Getting Canadian Citizenship back

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

LaurenNew Member
Topic author

Getting Canadian Citizenship back

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:01 am

Hello Canucks,
I was born in Vancouver in 1948 but I guess I became a U.S. citizen in 1957 because my parents became citizens. I was not aware when the dual citizenship law changed in Canada in 1977. I want my Canadian citizenship back. My parents were born in England so I have British Citizenship and a British passport, does that help? My father became a Canadian citizen (he lived in Canada from 1923 - 1951) before moving to and becoming a U.S. citizen but received Canadian veterans benefits after serving in the RCAF in WWII. I have relatives born in and living in Canada. Is it possible to get my Canadian citizenship back without moving back to Canada at this time? I need to work out finances and employment before considering when I would move back.

Hello again, since posting this yesterday I have found a website that has a lot of information about citizens like me called "Canada's Lost Children". I also read carefully some of my documents and realized I became a U.S. citizen in 1957 when I was only nine years old because my parents became U.S. citizens. I also discovered both my parents were Canadian citizens as well as my grandparents.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Lauren
Last edited by Lauren on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanuckAbroadSite AdminUser avatar
Topics: 1

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:49 am

Your best bet - Call your local consulate and ask. They can probably tell you right away what you need!

Good luck -
Matt
LaurenNew Member
Topic author

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:42 pm

Thank you Matt.
Lauren

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:27 pm

No prob. I think you've got a pretty good chance at getting the citizenship. Keep us posted if it works out for you.
marcibunNew Member

Contact the Canadian Consulate in your city

Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:47 pm

I am a Canadian Citizen, now a permenant US resident and my husband, a US citizen by birth just reclaimed his Canadian Citizenship this year due to a change in the law last January. Both the Canadian and US Governments now allow dual citizenship. They also now allow you to possess passports for each country, although they require you claim US citizenship when entering the US and Canadian citizenship when entering Canada.

He was a born in Connecticut, but both of his parents are Canadian and registered him as a birth abroad in 1967. He lived in Canada from 1972 - 1977 then moved back to the US. According to the old law, until 1977 Canada forced anyone with dual citizenship to choose one or the other by their 21st birthday. If they lived in the US at the time they would automatically lose their Canadian citizenship. This law was changed in Feb 1977, allowing those born or acquiring citizenship after this date to keep dual citizenship. Unfortunately that didn't help the people who had to give it up.

In 2004, The Canadian government issued a temporary moratorium allowing anyone who had given up their citizenship during that time the ability to reclaim it if so desired. I believe that the time frame for being able to do so is 5 years but I could be wrong. My husband still had his original "birth abroad" card from 1967, so all he had to do was complete the application requesting a replacement citizenship document, pay the $55 CAD fee and send proof that at least one of his parents had lived in Canada for at least 7 years between 1967 and 2005. He received his citizenship card in the mail a few months later.

Since you were born in Canada, all you are required to do is send a copy of your birth certificate or certified long form with the application and processing fee and you should get your citizen card in 4-6 months.
canuck_dcNew Member

Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:29 pm

Dear Lauren,

You definitely can re-claim your Canadian citizenship. I would call the Canadian Embassy and inquire. I found that it is much better to travel around the world on your Canadian passport. People admire and respect you.

Cheers,
Canuck in DC
gatoracoNew Member

Origin - Newfoundland

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:47 am

Dear Forum members,
Here's one for the books - I need your help because even the Consulate doesnt know the answer....
I was adopted from Newfoundland in 1968 at age 2 to US people. I never had a say-so as to loosing my canadian citizenship. I want it back and want to move there since both of my adoptive parents are deceased now. I have my original cnaadian birth cert. that states my birth mother, my birth name, but I am a US citizen now and I guess my question is... HOW do I do this, and is it possible???
The consul in DC, NY, LA and washington state all say the same thing " I don't know, just go ahead and apply" (for $100). HELP...... I anxiously wait for replies
kabroughamNew Member

Dual Citizenship

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:29 am

Wow, what a great board! I just discovered this forum, and have already had a few of my questions answered. Of course, reading the posts has also raised some new ones for me. I'd love any input anyone has.

My situation is that I was born in Canada in 1969 to parents who were living there, but were actually US Citizens. At the time of my birth, I was registered as a Canadian citizen. Subsequently, my parents moved us back to the US, and in 1976 I was naturalized. Then, at 21, I chose to vote in the US.

My understanding has always been that, because I chose to vote in the US, the US regards me as "only" a US citizen, but that Canada will always regard me as having dual citizenship. But after reading some of the previous posts, I'm wondering if either of these assumptions is actually true.

I do have a Canadian birth certificate, and even though I live and work in the US, I have always liked knowing I have the "safety net" of being Canadian, should I ever want to move back there. I guess one big question I have is, if I apply for resumption of Canadian citizenship, am I going to have to forfeit my US citizenship -- or do both countries now accept dual citizenship??

I've tried finding this info out at various Canadian and US gov't agencies, but am still confused. Again, any help/thoughts much appreciated.

Kerensa

Post Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:09 am

Sorry that I can't be of more help, but I know for sure you can have dual canadian-us citizenship. I have several family members who live in the US, most of which have dual citizenship. Some were born in Canada and moved to the US as kids, just applied for a Canadian passport/citizenship and have since moved back. So it's definitely possible!

I'd call your nearest consulate and explain the situation. It's certainly worth having dual citizenship!

Good luck
attacksmanJunior MemberUser avatar

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:43 am

What the heck - ill post it here too for the next person who happens on this thread.

http://www.lslap.bc.ca/PDFs/18.pdf

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP
There are few reasons for losing Canadian citizenship under the current Citizenship Act. These are outlined in Part II of the Act. The exceptions are:

Before February 14, 1977, a person lost Canadian citizenship if he or she took out citizenship of another country because Canada did not allow dual citizenship. If a person lost his or her citizenship in this manner that person can now get it back through resumption. Since February 14, 1977 Canada has allowed dual citizenship;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/no ... ption.html

As of May 5, 2005, people who lost their Canadian citizenship as minors between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977, can apply to resume their citizenship without having to become permanent residents and live in Canada for one year.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!