getting paid without a SSN?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

ahluwaliahNew Member
Topic author
Topics: 1

getting paid without a SSN?

Post Thu May 19, 2011 8:12 am

Hi,

I am currently working in the USA on a TN visa.

I have applied for a SSN and the process takes upto 4 weeks to get a number. My employer has a copy of this letter and is saying that they cannot release payment without the SSN. I read online that as long as they have my ITIN , they can generate a temporary number and release payment. They cannot send me pay stubs and can back date them later, but they can release payment.

Can someone guide me on this?

thanks
CalGreenCardCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 2

Re: getting paid without a SSN?

Post Thu May 19, 2011 6:10 pm

agnelson wrote:Technically, the only thing you need to begin working is your TN, and proof that you have applied for SSN.

However almost all companies have internal policies that prevent payrolling you.

Generally universities (which may add hundreds of foreign TA's/RA's to the payroll every September) will payroll someone pending the receipt of the actual SSN by using a dummy SSN--as the OP suggests. Private companies encounter this situation with far less frequency and usually aren't equipped to handle it (their software may not deal with it even if they would want to be accomodating).

An advance is usually the best bet as agnelson suggests.
C-NoteNew Member

Post Wed May 25, 2011 11:08 am

Agreed with above.
Ask your employer to give you an advance. That's what I did and they then deducted it off my first pay.
In my case, the employer couldn't even enter my info into their payroll system without an SSN number.
dellsoftwareJunior Member
Topics: 9

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Here in Philly I got my SSN in 4 days for TN.
canadaguy4540Junior Member

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:51 pm

You can only get a SSN if you have a green card or a valid work permit. If you apply for a social security number and you aren't legally allowed to be in the US, authorities are obviously going to be suspicious. If you get caught working in the US without the valid permits you may be forciably removed and face a 3 year or 5 year travel ban. The only way to over come this ban is with a US Entry Waiver which costs money, so if you care about being able to spend time in the United States make sure you are legally allowed to work there before you apply for a SSN.
E34619CanuckAbroad VIP

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:18 pm

All posters in this thread have US work authorization.
XRumerTestSenior Member

Test, just a test

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:37 am

Hello. And Bye.
XRumerTestSenior Member

Test, just a test

Post Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:47 am

Hello. And Bye.
XRumerTestSenior Member