I-797 just got approved... what next?

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.

Moderator: visaplace.com

TheDocNew Member
Topic author
Topics: 3

I-797 just got approved... what next?

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 am

This is my first time going through the non-immigrant work visa for the US. I became a Canadian citizen back in March and have my passport. I have a job offer through an IT Consulting form in the US. They filed an expedited I-797 which has just been approved (I'm waiting on it getting couriered to me).

I was told by the firm that I'd need to schedule an appointment with my nearest US Consulate to get my H1-B visa approved. I then have spent the last day going round in circles trying complete a DS-160, pay the $150 fee and schedule an appointment. So far I've only managed to do the DS-160 online. But now I'm starting to wonder if I even need to do any of this as a Canadian?!

So my question is this: As a Canadian citizen with an approved I-797, is that all I need in order to gain entry into the US when I pass through CBP at whichever airport I get a flight through?

Is there other supporting documentation I should bring along, like my job offer, proof of residence in Canada, pay advice notes, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm struggling to understand what's required here!
TheDocNew Member
Topic author
Topics: 3

Re: I-797 just got approved... what next?

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:55 am

Great! Thanks for the quick response.

One follow-up question: I was also told by the consulting firm that although I can't start work until Oct 1, I can enter the US up to 10 days beforehand to give me time to find a place to stay, etc. Is that correct?

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!