I have a Criminal Record

Talk about anything, with anyone, here.
titusfightNew Member
Topic author

I have a Criminal Record

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:03 am

Hey guys, I have a question. I am currently enrolled in the next local ESL program to teach english. I have a big question. I do have a criminal record here in Canada and I was born in Canada. Will I still be able to work/live in other countries in Europe and abroad? It was a serious crime, not murder but was a violent act nontheless. it has been a few years since. I did do nearly a year in jail, so thats how we will leave it. Can anyone answer my question? What countries will allow a person with a criminal record to live/work?
CanuckAbroadSite AdminUser avatar
Topics: 1

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:17 am

That's really difficult to day - I'm sure some countries will, some won't.

I'm sure most countries will require you disclose any criminal record when you apply for a work visa, and may or may not deny you the visa.

Do you have an idea of where you want to go?
attacksmanJunior MemberUser avatar

pardon me?

Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:02 am

Probably a good thing to consider regardless, if you are 3 years 'clean' is a pardon.

http://www.npb-cnlc.gc.ca/pardons/servic_e.htm

However, do pay attention to that site where it says:

" A pardon does not erase the fact that a person was convicted of an offence."

" A pardon does not guarantee entry or visa privileges to another country."

My guess is you would have learned about pardons in your time in jail. Likely you are already aware of the above.

If all the foreign government asks for is a Criminal Record check - get it from the RCMP after your pardon. But if they ask you specific questions about your past, thats another story.
AzmairninNew Member

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Unlike the States, Canadian pardons are not automatic

You must apply for a pardon if you are planning to work or volunteer overseas. To enter the United States, you may need an entry waiver as well.

Find out more at my blog about Canadian pardons: Pardon Me, Canada.
westcoastsukiNew Member

Re: I have a Criminal Record

Post Wed May 20, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey everyone,
My boyfriend had a DUI in the States, and for that reason has been denied entry into Canada(rather silly but that is such)
Any advice on the process involved with getting a pardon for him? I think it's been close to three years since he got his DUI?
SarniaGrlSuper Member

Post Wed May 20, 2009 9:03 pm

westcoastsuki wrote:Hey everyone,
My boyfriend had a DUI in the States, and for that reason has been denied entry into Canada(rather silly but that is such)
Any advice on the process involved with getting a pardon for him? I think it's been close to three years since he got his DUI?

Unlike the U.S. where 1st time DUI can be a misdemeanor, Canadian law looks at DUI/DWI as a serious criminal offence. For him to travel to Canada, he'll need to apply for rehabilitation from the Cdn. govn't. In general, five years need to have passed since the offence, sentence, and fines were paid. At that point, he could apply. It currently costs $200, with a potential to cost $1000, depending on severity, thus needing Minister's Approval.

A quote from the CIC site;
"People who are ineligible for approval of rehabilitation because not enough time has passed can complete the form and check “For Information Only.” An officer will decide if special permission for temporary admission is warranted."

Hard to say how often that is granted, though.

Right now they're taking about a year to process. The application requires character references, proof of employment, information about the offence, BAC level, and more. Here's another forum to check out, there are people on there going through the same thing.

A link to the CIC form:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp
Check out http://www.roadtocanada.com
Reba

Re:

Post Thu May 21, 2009 4:13 am

Azmairnin wrote:Unlike the States, Canadian pardons are not automatic

Neither are they automatic in the US.
bobassadiNew Member

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 pm

Since I am not able to start a new thread I'll ask this here.

Hi all,looking for some help. I'm applying for a partner visa to Australia. I went to do my criminal checks but I have a charge from 1993. It was a fail to remain at an accident, in a parking lot, no one in the car, I left, I was young and stupid. Anyway when I went to do my clearance checks it came up so I had to do fingerprints electronically. Without a record it should be 3 days to get the clearance but with a record they say upwards of 120 days. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the actual wait time?

Cheers
ipcpardonsNew Member

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:43 am

bobassadi wrote:Since I am not able to start a new thread I'll ask this here.

Hi all,looking for some help. I'm applying for a partner visa to Australia. I went to do my criminal checks but I have a charge from 1993. It was a fail to remain at an accident, in a parking lot, no one in the car, I left, I was young and stupid. Anyway when I went to do my clearance checks it came up so I had to do fingerprints electronically. Without a record it should be 3 days to get the clearance but with a record they say upwards of 120 days. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the actual wait time?

Cheers

Hi there, you are correct that if your background check shows a criminal record by the RCMP it does take a minimum of 120 working days for the results to come back. The reason for this is that you are being checked out from coast to coast. It is rather thorough and can be to your benefit as sometimes it will bring up another instance that you may have well forgotten about. Anyways, my agency can certainly help you and determine if a Canadian pardon is needed as well.

Give us a call by clicking on our "talk now' button on our website and just enter your phone number and be connected to us in 15 seconds or less with no long distance charges to you what so ever.

If you prefer we call you then just text us requesting a call back through out site as well and we will call you. Our contact methods are completely secure.

http://www.pardonconsultant.com
Scott
IPC Pardons & Waivers
http://www.pardonconsultant.com

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!