Maximum stay of 180 days

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.

Moderator: visaplace.com

robert200New Member
Topic author

Maximum stay of 180 days

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:48 pm

(Assuming that I travel by car)

1- How does the U.S. keep track of the number of days that I have been in the country since the canadian border crossing that I drove through in June 2007 did not even bother to scan my passport?

2-Does anyone has the latest update re. info sharing between the US and Cdn border agencies? Ex. when I cross the US border and the agent scans my passport, is that info transmitted to the Cdn border agent so that they know exactly when I enterred the US?

3-Has anyone experienced a cdn border crossing that did not scan the passport since July 1st 2009?

Thanks.
CalGreenCardCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 2

Re: Maximum stay of 180 days

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:41 am

robert200 wrote:(Assuming that I travel by car)

1- How does the U.S. keep track of the number of days that I have been in the country since the canadian border crossing that I drove through in June 2007 did not even bother to scan my passport?

2-Does anyone has the latest update re. info sharing between the US and Cdn border agencies? Ex. when I cross the US border and the agent scans my passport, is that info transmitted to the Cdn border agent so that they know exactly when I enterred the US?

3-Has anyone experienced a cdn border crossing that did not scan the passport since July 1st 2009?

Thanks.

One should assume that they may not have complete information at the border--and hence you should be prepared to verify important information--but they have access to a sufficient amount of information that they probability of being caught lying is too high to make it worth the risk.

For example, they may not have scanned your passport, but they may have been quietly keying in your license plate number, even without your knowing, as you were driving up to the booth. Their cameras may be able to automatically scan and read license plate numbers which might give them info on their screen automatically as soon as you actually get to the real human being in the booth. If you returned to Canada in the same car that you entered the USA in, that gives them good information. If you returned in a different car, or with different occupants in the vehicle, their info might be less reliable.

There is too much traffic on the border for them to get complete info on everyone. Their approach is to gather as much information as they can in a few seconds and then refer for more intense grilling anyone who seems to have inconsistencies in their story.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!