O-1 Visa without expensive legal help?

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.

Moderator: visaplace.com

MxgJunior Member
Topic author

O-1 Visa without expensive legal help?

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 am

Hi.

Can anyone suggest a way to apply for an O-1 visa without spending thousands of dollars on legal fees?

Around a year ago, I applied (successfully) for a TN-1 visa. At first, I asked a lawyer for help. The lawyer wanted around $4000, which was more than I could afford.

Instead, I applied myself, by using the guide at tnvisaexpert.com, and then hiring a lawyer (recommended through that same site) for a very short and affordable consultation, to make sure my application was okay.

Now, for some other work I’m doing, I would like to try and apply for an O-1 visa. From what I’ve learned so far, it seems like I’d be eligible, and the work would be applicable. But, again, if I were to hire a lawyer, it would involve a really hefty fee which, again, I’d be unable to afford.

Does anyone know of any affordable way to apply for an O-1? I could, if I had to, afford to pay a few hundred dollars (for materials, short consultation, etc), but not a few thousand…

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
miguelramosvCanuckAbroad Regular

Re: O-1 Visa without expensive legal help?

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 am

Try asking previous O-1 applicants on immigration forums like trackitt.com or immigration.com if they can send you some of their templates.

That being said - O1 visas are best handled by qualified immigration attorneys.
MxgJunior Member
Topic author

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks, Miguel! I'll check those forums.

I'm definitely getting the sense that the O-1 is a lot more complicated than the TN-1. Getting professional help with it seems to be the recommended course. I wonder if anyone successfully does it without a lawyer.... Most quotes I've heard are around $4000, which is way more than I can afford.
miguelramosvCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Also, pretty sure that you cannot self petition an O-1. Ie: an employer / agent must sponsor you. Again, speak with an experienced immigration attorney, O-1s applications are not trivial.
madlvfNew Member

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:13 am

I have a friend that he has helped many people get the O-1 Visa for Extraordinary Ability, and I can tell you that sometimes it is not easy to do.

A petition for an O-1A Visa must include evidence that the beneficiary has received a major, internationally-recognized award, or evidence of at least three of the following criteria:

- Receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field
Membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought which require outstanding achievements, as judged by well-known national or international authorities in the field
- Published material in professional or major trade publications, newspapers or other major media about the beneficiary or the work of the beneficiary
- Original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major importance and recognition in the field
- Authorship of academic articles in professional journals or other major media
- A high salary or other compensation for services rendered
- Participation on a panel, or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same field of specialization for which classification is sought
- Employment in a critical or essential capacity for Companies and organizations that have a distinguished reputation.

So I reccomend you find a proffesional to help you with this.

Kind Regards,

Miguel de la Vega

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!