re: canadian getting married to american...moving to the us

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

AaronChoiceNew Member
Topic author

re: canadian getting married to american...moving to the us

Post Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:49 pm

Well, I am delighted that I was able to find a suitable site to ask for some information. I am wanting to get married to my gf, an American, and move down there to California. Are there any other Canadians out there who have moved to the US on grounds of marriage? I'm wondering what the process has been like for you. Please give me some feedback here. I know that the process has become more more stringent since 9/11/2001 and want to know what all I'll be up against from a legistlative angle. Any one that has done this please let me know what the process has been like and the when and how that I should go about doing things. Thanks for your help!!!

Cheers,
Aaron
Kitchener, ON
shedsNew Member

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:19 pm

well Aaron, this might be a good site to post a question, but it's not very good at getting back answers...i havent found it to be helpful at all. i am a canadian living in california with my b/f. i'm here as a regular visitor, up to 6 months legally, not allowed to work. after that, who knows. we plan on getting engaged soon. the only info i have is that if you come here on a fiancee visa, you have to be married within 3 months of your arrival. sorry i couldnt be of more help
NoellaNew Member

Marrying an American

Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:33 am

Get ready for the USA to know everything about u. My husband and I did it the long way or as the government here says the legal way. First when u go thru customs DO NOT TELL THEM U R comming here to see your fiance. they will put u thru the wringer. giving u a lecture of how the american government does not want u comming in and marrying before applying. Well that said. I know of 2 couples who came her got married then applied for a permanent status. that way u get your work visa. U can go talk to people about jobs but believe me even if they hire u the government can say no. I know it happened to my daughter after she moved everything here. The most informative place to go is the govenors office of the state your BF/GF live they will help u. BTW u have a waitin period of about a 2 yrs of not going back to canada legally. they can stop u from allowin u back into the states. but u can apply for a " early parole" ya like we r prisoners lol. Well good luck oh ya u need proof u have be living here to get married at the court house. But get electricity in your name (hydro) that should be proof.
cdngirl80New Member

Post Mon May 31, 2004 4:12 am

Just had to reply 'cause I'm from Kitchener, too! :) Anyway, I married my husband (an American) in Canada, then came over to the States. I don't know how to go about it via the fiance route, but getting married first was definitely helpful in my case. All I can say is, get ready to fork over the $$. It cost us (so far) about $700 U.S. just for filing fees, finger prints, pictures, etc. Good luck! :)
JustPlainCarolNew Member

Getting Married to US citizen

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:03 pm

My husband is from New Brunswick and we met on the Internet. Here are some helpful hints from our INS experience.

1) Do not tell the customs agents that you are visiting the US to get married or even to visit a boy or girl friend. This will raise the red flag and may get you refused entry. In order to come to the US to get married, a Canadian or other nationality must have a Fiance Visa. However, if you are just coming to visit firends and then happen to fall in love and get married here, you do not need to have the visa.

2) Do not sneak across the border, either. Just come across as a Candian visitor - you do not need a Visa to visit the US. Once you have made a lawful entry into the country as a visitor you can change your status later

3) Once you have gotten married and decide to stay in the US, go to an immigration attorney to get help with the immigration process. It is worth the extra money to get the best advice and to have the help in completing all the necessary paper work.

4) Be prepared to wait for a LONG time to get your permanent residency. The INS is so back logged that the process will take at least a year from the time you apply. In addition, if your residency is based on marriage, you will only be granted a conditional permanent residency and will have to go back after you have been married for 2 years to finallize everything. This may take another year to process after the 2 years have passed.

Check the official INS site for more information on visas and permanent residency.

Carol Barton
dayna annNew Member

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:58 pm

I married an American 4 years ago. We consulted with an attorney beofre we were married . We were a very straight forward legitimate case and the attorney told us to save our money and to file ourselves for all the paperwork. I have hear horro stories about immigration, but to be honest, it was pretty easy for me.
Lots of paperwork at the beginning of course. A few fees. And a lot of waiting. Yes, they take their time processing things. Make sure you are thorough and careful with your applications.
Unless your case is super complicated, save the lawyer fee and do it yourself.
worf1108New Member

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:11 pm

You need to make sure you understand all of your options that are available to you ... I suggest that you visist www.visajourney.com

This site is excellent for explaining all of the details regarding each of the types of VIsas ... They have numerous examples and many people that have been through the process to give you advice ...
JaneNew Member

Re: re: canadian getting married to american...moving to the

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:45 pm

[quote="AaronChoice"]Well, I am delighted that I was able to find a suitable site to ask for some information. I am wanting to get married to my gf, an American, and move down there to California. Are there any other Canadians out there who have moved to the US on grounds of marriage? I'm wondering what the process has been like for you. Please give me some feedback here. I know that the process has become more more stringent since 9/11/2001 and want to know what all I'll be up against from a legistlative angle. Any one that has done this please let me know what the process has been like and the when and how that I should go about doing things. Thanks for your help!!!

Cheers,
Aaron
Kitchener, ON[/quote]

Your girlfriend must file a Petition forFiance form in order for you to get into the country...If you say that you are going to get married you WILL NOT get through customs...trust me....I was refused admission and my bf came to Nova Scotia and I was stuck in Canada a year filing papers...I had overstayed my 6 month visit to 8 months, told them at border crossing and they would not let me back in until I obtained my Permanet Resident card...but you should have no trouble getting a 6 month visa under a Fiance Application but get it in...it can take months for it to process...even years...but get it started immediately.
DebWestfalNew Member

my experiences

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:57 pm

I married an american citizen back in 98. The only thing I can stress to you is to have your gf apply for a fiance's visa for you, NO MATTER WHAT they tell you at the Los Angeles Immigration office. We listened to them when they told us that because I'm a canadian I could move here and get married whenever we wished, that the laws were different for canadians. It took 3 years to get through the process (believe me I never want to see the Fulton Mall in Fresno again as long as I live). That's my advice to you. Once you get the visa you can come down but you have to be married within 90 days of the date issued on the visa. I'm not sure what the rest of the process is, but most likely it will take at least 13 months for you to get your EAD (employment authorization document), and you're not done yet. Another 6 months or so and you should be eligible for your green card. No matter what they tell you, do NOT carry your SS card and your green card with you, make copies and carry the copies with you and put your original cards in a safe place. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ksalterNew MemberUser avatar

Canadian in US on a TN visa and engaged now

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:36 pm

Hello,

I have been living in the US for the last 1.5 years working on under a TN visa and now we are engaged. I'm Canadian and he is American. I wanted to have a party back in Canada but I was told that I don't want to get married here (in US) and then go to Canada to have the party. When we come back and customs realize we're married and I'm on the TN visa they will turn me away. SOOO, my question is what do I do now? When applying for a green card I can't go home to Canada either right? I need to work, so I can't give up my work visa through this process, or at least would like NOT too. Any suggestions?
thanks!
:roll: :roll:

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!