steps for marrying an american?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

bluegreenjellybeansNew Member
Topic author

steps for marrying an american?

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:35 pm

hello!

i have some questions regarding marrying an american. i am canadian and my bf is american. we have the eventual goal of marrying. i am not sure what papers need to be filled out to marry and go to the US. we would like to do everything the legal way and ready before we get married and i move to the states. I am an RN, so i know that i working in the US will not be a problem and wont be hard to get a working visa due to my education and credidentials. Our plan is to get married in canada then i would move to the US. or is there a better way? (i am open to suggestions).

so, when is the best time (or how long in advance)to get the "paperwork" started before we get married? how long does it take? where would i find the proper paperwork to fill out? should i have my working visa before getting married and move to the US? not sure of the best way to do it.

i would hate to be "stranded" in the US for any amount of time. or to be married and not be able to be with my husband in the US due to some glitch in the paperwork steps.

any other suggestions?

thanks for the help!
gery
Reba

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:16 pm

If your plan is to immigrate to the US and live here permanently, DO NOT get a work visa. Get a spouse or fiance visa.

If you really want to be married in Canada, then After you get married, your then husband will petition for a K3 and/or CR1 spouse visa for you.

If you want to get married in the US, then he can petition for a K1 fiancee visa for you.

For more information on marriage based immigration, go to www.visajourney.com and read the FAQs and Guides there, and the message boards. Tonnes of info there, and thousands of couples going thru the same thing.

I married an American and am now in the US with him. First I got a K3 visa, then after I arrived, applied for Adjustment of Status, and got a Green Card.

There are a few options, but none of them are a work visa. Work visas are not really made for permanent immigration, spousal visas are.
samandjessNew Member

Re: steps for marrying an american?

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:18 pm

What should I do? I am ready to move to the US in 6 weeks with my 18yr old daughter. Should I get married first ( in the US) and have him petition me as a K1 or wait until we get there....how difficult will it be for us to enter the US?
cjohnsonNew Member

Re: steps for marrying an american?

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:53 pm

This question is for Reba:

how long did you have to wait between your K3 & adjustment of status before you got your green card and could work?

And can you explain why it's a bad idea to get a work visa? I was thinking of trying to work for a year before determining if we wanted to pursue the marriage route.

Thank you.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!