TN laid off, how long can I stay before leaving for Canada?

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.

Moderator: visaplace.com

openburnNew Member
Topic author
Topics: 4

TN laid off, how long can I stay before leaving for Canada?

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:38 am

I am now in a company in NYC on TN status(visa). My I-94 expiration date is in Feb. 2014. My job is not stable so I feel the company will lay me off any time. If this does happen in the future and I continue to stay in US to look for a new TN job instead of turning in the I-94 card and going back to Canada, what would happen when I get the next job and apply for a new TN status at the border? Do the border have access to my employment termination record or they will check if I have got paid recently on a regular baisis whenever an aplicant wants to transfer to another TN´╝čI know for H1B, the employer is required to report the termination date by law but for TN, NO! They are not required to submit any document to any immigration dept or border after laying you off. I seriously wonder whether they are able to know this if I don't disclose to them on my own.

Another option is to go back to Canada. But how long according to the law can I remain to stay after I lose my TN job? Some say one week, some 1 month, or even 3 months...... My question is: ARE THERE ANY OFFICIAL LAWS OR RULES for this, AND WHERE ARE THEY EXACTLY???

Thank you.
openburnNew Member
Topic author
Topics: 4

Re: TN laid off, how long can I stay before leaving for Cana

Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:59 pm

(1) If I file an application for B2 visa, which reason whould I state in the application? For "wrapping up US affairs" ???? How likely will it be approved?
(2) How long does it take to process? Several months meaning 1,2,3 or 6 months? Normally at least and at most how long?
(3) If I ask for 6 month for the B2 visa and later it is aproved, the 6 months validity period is counted beginning from the time when I submit the application or when it is approved?

Thany you!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!