TN Visa - Network Engineer

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.

Moderator: visaplace.com

mmjanabNew Member
Topic author

TN Visa - Network Engineer

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:22 pm

I have got a contract with US company and they have sent me a letter with the title of Network Engineer and detailed description of the activities I will be carrying out. Agency I am going through is quite big and has done TN processing in the past.

My question here is that, which category does NEtwork ENgineer comes in. Does it come in under Engineer and Computer Systems Analyst?

I've been reading different forums and kind of confused whether should I ask the agency to rewrite the letter with different job title.

I have Computer Engineering degree.

I would appreciate any help I can get

Thank you,
MC

Re: TN Visa - Network Engineer

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:31 pm

It would come in under the Engineer category. Your letter would specify and elaborate on the term Network Engineer in your petitioning letter but your applicable entry category is Engineer.

You might possibly also enter as a Computer Systems Analyst but I recommend against it without an attorney examining your academic transcript. I only caution against this, as some officers have been notoriously picky regarding this in the past. So there might be some CBP Inspectors who argue you possess the wrong degree for entry as a CSA. They may conclude you are an Engineer as opposed to a CSA.
mmjanabNew Member
Topic author

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:20 am

Thank you, so what you are suggesting is that I should leave my employment letter as is.
MC

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:09 pm

I would say your employer has it right with a title of Network Engineer under the Engineer category.
mmjanabNew Member
Topic author

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:54 pm

I've got TN Visa today from Rainbow bridge - Niagara falls. They only give it to me for 1 year..don't know why, could be because my passport is expiring May next year.

Any how, below is how it went.

1. How did I get a job?
A: Agency contacted me through Monster.
2. Category?
A: Engineer
3. Degree?
A: Computer Engineering.

Officer didn't ask my any other question and after 20 mints asked me to pay the fee.

I've Computer Engineer degree from back home and it has been evaluated through Global Evaluations...

I thought to share this with every one...
jindalanilJunior Member
Topics: 5

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi,

I have few questions for TN1

I found one consultant who is offering me ajob.

1) I have computer engineering degree from India. But i dont have experience in IT/computer. I worked in non-IT jobs for 5 yrs. Do i need reference letter from my previous employer.?

Do i need to evaluate my degrees from foreign evaluators?

Which category will be best for me engineer or computer system analyst. I believe consultant will modify job letter accordingly?

Thanks a lot.

Anil

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!