TN1 Visa - Porter Airlines, Port of Entry, New Jersey

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.

Moderator: visaplace.com

megadiceNew Member
Topic author

TN1 Visa - Porter Airlines, Port of Entry, New Jersey

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:02 pm

Hello,
Interested to know if anyone has applied for a TN-1 Visa after entering the States from Toronto to New York VIA Porter Airlines. (Landing in New Jersey)

All customs are done on the AMERICAN side of the border and I want to ensure that this is a POE that can handle TN-1 visa applications.

(traveling on a Sunday if that might change anything)

Thanks in advance!
vivabroadJunior Member

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 am

Check the CBP site (of Homeland Security) for the POEs. I don't think New Jersey is a port.JFK is.
Reba

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:18 am

How are you inspected on the US side if you're leaving from Toronto? Toronto has pre-clearance.

Colour me confused.
megadiceNew Member
Topic author

porter airlines

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:46 pm

If flying from Pearson Airport you are precleared.
If you are flying from Toronto Island (via Porter) you are not, you go through customs at Newark.
Reba

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:07 am

ah, ok, I didn't know flights went to US from there. I rarely if ever think about the Island airport unless I'm on a ferry in the harbour ;)

I don't know if there'd be a NAFTA person at Newark though, you might want to call ahead to find out. Or just drive down to the border, get your TN and then fly down later.
megadiceNew Member
Topic author

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:55 am

OK, so it IS possible to get your TN-1 Visa if you fly into Newark.
Thanks.
Reba

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm

I don't know, you may want to call ahead to find out if there is a NAFTA person there. Just because there's immigration and customs, doesn't mean there will be anyone there who knows what a TN is.
megadiceNew Member
Topic author

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:56 pm

What I'm saying is that for sure there IS a person who will deal with TN-1 Visas at Newark Airport.

I did it. It worked.

(No clue what they do if you get rejected, but at least you know you can apply)
saikrishnaCanuckAbroad Regular

Re: TN Visa I-94 at Newark, NJ Airport

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:26 am

megadice wrote:What I'm saying is that for sure there IS a person who will deal with TN-1 Visas at Newark Airport.

I did it. It worked.

(No clue what they do if you get rejected, but at least you know you can apply)

Hello Everybody:

Does anyone have recent experience of flying into Newark, NJ on TN visa outside of North American Hemisphere e.g. Europe? Any input is appreciated. Thanks a lot :)

Regards,

Saikrishna
Traveller
deaton333CanuckAbroad Regular

Re: TN1 Visa - Porter Airlines, Port of Entry, New Jersey

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 am

I've flown into JFK and Atlanta from Europe while on a TN visa (2009). Both times I had my I-94, and both times they just put a new stamp on my passport. At Atlanta the USCBP guy didn't know exactly what to do so got up and asked another officer, took less than 3 mins to sort it out, stamped my passport, and I was on my way. You should have no problems in Newark. If you don't have your original I-94 they will give you a new one, but it will take a bit longer.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!