Travelling to Scandinavia and want to do it cheap. Ideas?

For Canadians living in and travelling to Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland
newf_in_bcNew Member
Topic author

Travelling to Scandinavia and want to do it cheap. Ideas?

Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:00 pm

My girlfriend and I plan on visiting Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland for 2.5 weeks this summer in late June/early July. I know there are gazillions of internet resources that could tell us what to see and do but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. We want to do the trip as cheaply as possible, even if that means camping and eating sandwiches and bottled water the whole time. Hell, maybe we'll hitchhike. We want to see cities while we’re there but we also want to go off the beaten path and check out Lapland and the fjords and maybe take in some MTB'ing.

What do you recommend for two young outdoorsy people on a tight budget in these four countries for 2.5 weeks? Info on hostels, transportation, campgrounds, etc. would be appreciated.

Also, we expect to be in Lapland or Helsinki near Canada Day. Anyone know where we can celebrate with some ex-pats. Maybe we can bring a touch of home with us. Anyone need Canadian flags or pins?

Thanks.
CanuckAbroadSite AdminUser avatar
Topics: 1

Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:05 pm

Hey there,

I was in Sweden and Finland this past summer and really liked it!

It's super expensive though- We stayed at a crap hostel in downtown Stockholm and it still cost us about $120 CAD per night for a 'private' room. We would have been better staying at a hotel where it would have cost maybe slightly more but we would have at least been able to sleep.

Anyhow.

From what I understand you're allowed to camp anywhere for free, so long as it's more than 30 meters from the nearest building or something like that. Maybe someone can clarify?

Obviously then it doesn't make sense to camp in Stockholm but if you're going out into the country it would totally work. I'd love to go mountain biking there!

Making your own sandwiches etc is much cheaper that eating out. Beer is expensive by European standards but honestly I didn't find it much different than here in Canada, maybe slightly more expensive.

Helsinki is a beautiful city. If you're taking a ferry between Stockholm and Helsinki, make sure you ask for a package as well for student rates! They didn't ask us for any ID and we ended up getting a package price which was cheaper than a normal roundtrip fare and also included a room at a really nice downtown Helsinki hotel, right across from the ferry terminal.

A good day trip from Helsinki is to Talinn, Estonia - Really nice city, strongly recommended.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully some others will chime in.

Good luck!
danzar1972New Member

Re: Travelling to Scandinavia and want to do it cheap. Idea

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:55 am

Hello,

Use this travel site to compare airfares and accomodation prices - Trabber. com

Surely, you will save time and money.

I hope it´ll help.

:)
AllyssaSuper Member

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:51 pm

If you want real contact with the culture try couch surfing. It is a great system of reciprocity and can help save a heap of money on hostels. I found it the best way to see more than the tourist side of a place in only a short time.
www.couchsurfing.com
AllyssaSuper Member

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:12 pm

I should add that lots of couchsurfer hosts would allow you to set up a tent in their back yard if you prefer (and use the indoor facilities as needed/available). If you are set on camping and are in a city, that might be an option.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!