US Credit Card Application & Tips for a Canadian Citizen

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

investmindNew Member
Topic author

US Credit Card Application & Tips for a Canadian Citizen

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi everyone, great forum for people who likes it below the 49th parallel a bit more often like myself : )

My question is, I'm starting a business based in Seattle, but I am a Canadian Citizen. For daily operations like car rentals a US-based credit card would be much better, how would I go about doing this as a Canadian Citizen living in Vancouver BC?

Thanks in advance!
can_bosJunior Member

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:45 pm

You may get invitation from US credit card companies or banks after a while. The first thing you need to do is to open a US bank account. It usually require a SSN.
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:31 pm

Get a secured credit card, the bank will issue you a credit card with a limit equal to what you have in your chequing account. After awhile they trust you and will give you a proper limit.
Steve.
yeehaNew Member

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:36 pm

what i did before I move to the US is: apply for an AMEX credit card in canada, after got approved , call their customer service and ask for this "global transfer service", they will issue you a US AMEX card to your US address, saving you a lot of trouble due to no US credit history. Of course this depends on your credit history in Canada. But it works perfectly for me and I got my AMEX card in the first month I relocated to US.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!