Bringing US leased car to Canada

If we travel or live abroad, we usually come back to visit right? Here's a the place to meet other "re-pats" and Canadians who have returned.
stellaNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Bringing US leased car to Canada

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 am

I recently came back to Canada from living/working in the US for the past few years. Late summer I leased a vehicle in the US (3 yr term) and then - for unavoidable reasons - had to return to Canada to live. I can't afford to break the lease. Has anyone maintained insurance, registration in the US while living in Canada?
stellaNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Bringing US leased car to Canada

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I have asked quite a few people and gotten just as many responses. A Canadian auto-broker gave me the opposite advice - (below):

- "As long as you have the vehicle insured in the US, and maintain some kind of address there, you're OK"

- "If you relocate to Canada, you can temporarily import the vehicle to Canada as a visitor.

- "When the lease term ends, the vehicle goes back". "If contract says the vehicle can only leave for 30 days max, then you'll have to re-enter the US -eg go shopping - monthly."

How do snowbirds do this? People who have US/Canadian residences?
canadaguy4540Junior Member

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Just a tip: insurance is cheaper if you keep it plated in the USA
miramichiNew Member

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Re insurance: never underestimate the lengths insurance companies will go to to deny a claim if they are the ones that have to pay out.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!