Tax-help-live in canada work for u.s. company

If we travel or live abroad, we usually come back to visit right? Here's a the place to meet other "re-pats" and Canadians who have returned.
pbaia1New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Tax-help-live in canada work for u.s. company

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi,

I live in Canada but work for a U.S. company. I get paid in U.S. currency and it goes into a U.S. bank account. (I used to live in the U.S...and I kept one account open there)..I am Canadian Citizen. Do i need to file a 1040NR? And if so, do I also have to claim the income on my Canadian return? if i do, can I apply for tax credit?

Is there anyone who knows where I can get my taxes done who has experience in this type of stuff. I am so confused and I am not sure what forms to fill out.

Thanks
pbaia1New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Tax-help-live in canada work for u.s. company

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 pm

THanks for your response.

i work in canada from home, but I work for a company in the U.S. (they are not a canadian company), i never go to the U.S. to work.

i do not recieve any benefits from them at all. However, the money that i make does stay in the U.S. in a bank account that I opened when I lived there a few years back.

I do not bill them, they just pay me like they pay all their employees but they do no withhold anything.

So, I am still wondering if I need to file a 1040nr?
ncdNew Member

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi All - quick question - I am a sales affiliate - not selling items but merely giving people the option to click on my hop button to go to the seller. I then make a commission from the sale. I know any income I receive while ion Canada is taxable - but, a couple of the companies I sell for are now requesting a "Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding "(fw8ben.pdf)

Does this mean I will have to pay taxes in the US on these commissions as well? What is this form for exactly -

Stats - I don't sell items - I am a middleman in a way directing people to the actual seller - whether that is in the US or any other country. I receive a commission from these sales.
can_80_nNew Member

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 pm

My question is somewhat related to the first post in this thread.

I am dual US/Canadian Citizen. Husband-to-be is US Citizen. I am applying to sponsor him to become a Canadian Permanent Resident. I am doing this from the US. When/if that gets approved, we plan on moving to Quebec.
It is possible that we will both have the opportunity to continue working for our US employers by telecommuting online. Mine would be through a temp agency, his would be through a non-profit organization. Is it not possible to just continue getting paid as we are with US deductions and then just file both US and Canadian taxes and pay into the CPP that way or do we have to be "self-employed"? Is being "self-employed" the only way you can contribute to CPP when not earning income from a Canadian source? We really don't want to have to ask our US employers to change anything in the way they pay us (eg. Canadian payroll deductions or becoming sub-contractors) since I doubt they would go for it. Are we just trying to "have our cake and eat it"? :wink:
can_80_nNew Member

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks so much, Steve. How in the world do you know the answers to all of our complex questions? :D

You mentioned:
Steven wrote:...register as self-employed or set up your own company and invoice them.

What is the difference between registering as self-employed and setting up your own company to bill the "employer"? Are these 2 different scenarios or one and the same?
tiggertiffin87New Member

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:25 am

So I have a question. Currently I'm a Canadian citizen living in the the US and telecommuting for a US company. In a couple years I want to move back to Canada and continue telecommuting for the US company. Here's my questions. Taxes: you mentioned being self-employed/starting your own company and billing the company you're working for. Would I be doing that in the US or Canada? And how? Work permit: Would I/my company need to file some kind of work permit to continue working or would me billing them be sufficient? And just to clarify, whatever I'd earn from the US company, I'd no longer have any taxes taken out and would be responsible for paying whatever the taxes would be come tax season in Canada?
mwbeylNew Member

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:20 am

I am US citizen who just became new Canadian Permanent Resident. I work for a US Company and live in Canada. All of my work is done in the US. Do I just continue to have the US company take US taxes out of my check or can they pay Canadian Taxes. I read your discussion about invoicing your company back, I guess I don't understand why I would be invoicing the company for taxes that I pay? Just trying to figure it all out since this is just recently starting to happen to me and will affect my taxes for this year.
mwbeylNew Member

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:43 pm

I do work for a US Company and on a US payroll. Mainly I physically do work in the US. But I do work from my home in Canada from time to time but doing work only for US customers. Majority of my work is traveling to a site in the US for work but on occasion work out of my home office in Canada. Does that make any difference.
mwbeylNew Member

Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:43 am

The tricky part is what I was afraid of, do you know if I have to pay quarterly or is that something I can pay when I file my taxes once a year.
mwbeylNew Member

Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 am

That is what I am thinking, they will not pay me as a contractor. The tax situation I have been told is for me to figure out the differences. Which makes it more difficult for me to figure out especially since some of the work is done in the states and some from my home office.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!