Tax-help-live in canada work for u.s. company

If we travel or live abroad, we usually come back to visit right? Here's a the place to meet other "re-pats" and Canadians who have returned.
tkdmattNew Member

Re: Tax-help-live in canada work for u.s. company

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:09 am

Dear Steve,

I am a dual citizen currenly living in the US but being offered to work in North Africa by a Canadian firm. Can you tell me what is the best way to make sure I meet all tax requirements. As a non-resident of canada for 10yrs I am not sure that I can get paid in Canada but live elsewhere... Is my employer still to pay CPP? Or would the best be that they pay me in the US? perhaps I should beome self employed in the country I am to work? I am not trying to avoid taxation but want to make sure I don't pay twice and do th best for my employer. My income will be below 100k...
rjabelangerNew Member

Post Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi,

A couple of questions re: A Canadian living in Canada and working for a US company and traveliing to US 7-8 times a year for a coupe of days at a time.
1- What are the tax implications if paid by the US company in us funds?
2- Does the US company have to register their business in Canada?
3- Does the US company remit all taxes to CRA?
4- What if any are the US tax implications? Is the time spent in the US considered as having worked the US and therefore subject to US taxes?

Any help will be appreciated.
rjabelangerNew Member

Post Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks for the quick answers. On no.4 I presume you mean less thank US$10K.
caguedaNew Member

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 am

Hi Everyone:

I kind of have a similar situation whereby I am being offered a remote job in the US but I live in Canada, I would not need to go to the US to work as it is remote work but I am a dual citizen. They are giving me the option of either be part of their US payroll (getting paid in USD) or being part of their Canadian payroll (they have a BN number here but not a physical location). My questions stems from the fact that if I do go with the US payroll, I'd need to provide them with a US address (as if I was living there) and then they'd be withholding taxes on my W2 but what happens with the Canadian side of the this as I would still be living in Canada just remotely working for US. Since I moved to Canada I have been filing my US returns every year with no tax payable, with this new job being offered, I would probably need to start paying due to the high salary involved. Any help on how this can affect me? Thanks
DebselNew Member

Post Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:53 pm

I am an independent Manufacturers Rep in Canada who recently has been approached by a US company to sell their product to Furniture companies in Canada. I will call on these accounts and they will place and receive products directly from the US Company.
My question is that this company was told they would have to charge 30% off the top of commission. Wondering if this is fact and how this can be avoided? Seems strange to pay 30% to IRS then 30% to Canada, then 13% on everything we purchase!
Input is greatly appreciated!
saliljoshiNew Member

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Hi All,
Again to these conversations,
I would just like to get a clear idea about Work in canada as a Canadian PR and work for a US company while staying in canada?

Could you please tell me if this is possible and if yes what the company has to do the procedure or on my side what i have to do with CRA?

I would appreciate your reply.
saliljoshiNew Member

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi All,
I would just like to get a clear idea about Work in canada as a Canadian PR and work for a US company while staying in canada

Could you please tell me if this is possible and if yes what the company has to do the procedure or on my side what i have to do with CRA?

saliljoshiNew Member

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi All,
I would just like to get a clear idea about Work in canada as a Canadian PR and work for a US company while staying in canada

saliljoshiNew Member

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi All,

saliljoshiNew Member

Post Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi All,

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!