Anyone obtained a 3 year TN?

All questions and topics related to US work visas, immigration, etc should be posted here.
[email protected]New Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Anyone obtained a 3 year TN?

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:13 pm

I will be renewing my TN this Tuesday -
has anyone on this list been able to get a 3 year visa (or heard of anyone's experience?)

I am wondering if I should just "play it safe" and ask for a 1 year extension?

Thanks for any input!

Rachel Lefebvre
samdonowaCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:24 am

u would need 2 letters from the co, one for 1 yr and the other for 3 yrs and then decide which way to go.call up the POE that u'll go to and they should tell u, if they're even aware of it.
Tony MontanaJunior Member

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:09 pm

It has been announced on Oct 14th and is now published in the Federal registry. The different Port of entries(POE) now need to be advised on its application by their regional CBP field offices on the procedures and the date of inception. This could differ from one area to another. Therefore we recommend to call the POE or PFI before presenting a 3 year application request.Please note that this will not be applicable for all TN classifications and in some cases will require documentation and information to justify a 3 year TN. Good Luck
kevinlgCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 pm

You can print out the official rule as a prove for the POE officer.

Tony,

Why do you think different POE or PFI will act differently according to the rule changes?

In what particular situation/ classification it needs to be justified for a 3 yr or 2 yr or 1 yr petition?

Wouldn't the length of years stated your petition letter(for employer) be sufficient to justify?

Your comment implies that if your letter requested 3 yrs, but given a specific classification POE will issue could issue partial length. What justification are they following?

I thought it is either a NO or Go.
If your job / education does not fit, they won't even issue you a TN.
If your job, letter, education synced up with the regulation, they will issue you a TN according to the requested peroid. I can't think of a reason why would they give you partial length of the requested.
boscanuckJunior Member

POE

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:10 pm

I just called a Vermont POE and the immigration officer said they are only issuing 1 year TN's because the information has not filtered down yet even though the legislation is passed, he has not received direction and didn't give me an idea of how soon that would be coming.
kevinlgCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 pm

So I guess it is safe to let the dust settle before applying. 3~4 months?
Tony MontanaJunior Member

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 am

It is effectively in place
Call the POE to be sure they have been instructed of the change by CBP regional offices. I know that Derby and Highgate in VT are processing as well as Champlain and Ft.Erie in NY. Good Luck
usagisisaJunior Member

Just reapplied

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:22 am

I just reapplied for my TN, and they only gave me 1yr. When I questioned them, they said that the letter from your employer has to request 3yrs. Although my lawyer informed me that I should ask for the 3yr TN, the letter from my employer did not explicitly ask for a 3yr period. I think the law changed AFTER my paperwork was sent to me, but BEFORE I actually made the trip to the border.

Too bad.*sigh* Guess I'm out another $50 next year.

So, if you are going to apply for 3yrs, be sure that your paperwork specifically states that your employer wants you for that length of time.
usagisisaJunior Member

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:25 am

By the way--My experience was at Pearson pre-clearance. At least they are aware of the 3 yr option.

Hope that helps!
wec080New Member

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:52 am

Any update on this? I am going to give it a try next week. I am currently on TD. Hopefully it won't be too much trouble to switch to TN.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!