Bringing US leased car to Canada

If we travel or live abroad, we usually come back to visit right? Here's a the place to meet other "re-pats" and Canadians who have returned.
stellaNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 am

I recently came back to Canada from living/working in the US for the past few years. Late summer I leased a vehicle in the US (3 yr term) and then - for unavoidable reasons - had to return to Canada to live. I can't afford to break the lease. Has anyone maintained insurance, registration in the US while living in Canada?
stellaNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Bringing US leased car to Canada

Post Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I have asked quite a few people and gotten just as many responses. A Canadian auto-broker gave me the opposite advice - (below):

- "As long as you have the vehicle insured in the US, and maintain some kind of address there, you're OK"

- "If you relocate to Canada, you can temporarily import the vehicle to Canada as a visitor.

- "When the lease term ends, the vehicle goes back". "If contract says the vehicle can only leave for 30 days max, then you'll have to re-enter the US -eg go shopping - monthly."

How do snowbirds do this? People who have US/Canadian residences?
canadaguy4540Junior Member

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Just a tip: insurance is cheaper if you keep it plated in the USA
miramichiNew Member

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Re insurance: never underestimate the lengths insurance companies will go to to deny a claim if they are the ones that have to pay out.
FrankstNew Member

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:44 am

Most Canadian cars have both KPH and MPH on the speedometer. I would imagine that the car would have to go to a border crossing and be exported from Canada to the US. I have never done this so hopefully somebody who has can chime in.
kennethDusNew Member

Post Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:04 am

I would leave the gift in the car and look around to see what other people are doing. Then dash back to the car if you want to. If you can't dash back quickly, then I think it's fine to get it after the ceremony.
MurielDofeNew Member

Post Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:13 pm

I would leave the gift in the car and look around to see what other people are doing. Then dash back to the car if you want to. If you can't dash back quickly, then I think it's fine to get it after the ceremony.
TeresaticNew Member

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 pm

EugeneMuckNew Member

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:52 am

VictorHoWNew Member

Post Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:22 pm

From what I hear when they ask you at border if your claiming anything you need to show the fish

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!