Conditional Permanent Residency

If we travel or live abroad, we usually come back to visit right? Here's a the place to meet other "re-pats" and Canadians who have returned.
sonicmojJunior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Conditional Permanent Residency

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi,

My wife recently landed into Canada as a P.R. and I'm in the process of moving my belongings from the US to Canada. I'd like to continue to working for my US employer remotely from Canada on my TN visa. With that being said, to fulfill the requirements of conditional permanent residency of my wife and I living together in Canada, am I allowed to travel to my US employer location for a few days at a time for customer visits, presentations, etc? Will I be violating our conjugal relationship if I were to come into the office from time to time?

Thanks in advance!
sonicmojJunior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Conditional Permanent Residency

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks for the information. I was a bit worried about maintaining the conjugal relationship if work required me to come into the office.

I was aware that she can live with me in the US (3 out of 5 years) but I would like for her to live in Canada so she can obtain her citizenship (3 out of 4 years) instead of delaying the process.

Good to know. I will be working remotely for a US company and occasionally coming into the US office so I believe I would need TN status as you suggested.
sonicmojJunior Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Conditional Permanent Residency

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 am

I was unaware that the 3/5 requirement only applied to PRs married non Canadian citizens. That is good to know!

With that being said, the quickest way for her to become a citizen of either US or Canada is to live in Canada for the next 4 years. I've calculated and spoke with others that acquiring a green card through a US employer can take more than 4 years and depends on many more factors than the criteria outlined for Cdn citizenship after which several years are required to become eligible for a US citizen. I've been advised it's best that all family members have the same citizenship and immigration status or at least as close as possible to minimize complications in the future.

Thanks for all the information.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!