Want to immigrate from Canada to US

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

Canadian,Brit,American?New Member
Topic author

Want to immigrate from Canada to US

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:20 am

Hi, I am a student in my 2nd of 4 years at university getting my BA in War and Security Studies. After I graduate I want to immigrate the US and join the United States Marine Core. I was born in Canada and I have British citizenship as well. I am in the UK right now for school, but am planning on coming back if I can immigrate to the US. Unfortuantely I do not have any American relatives so I cannot gain a Visa that way. I don't think I can get the employment visa through the Marines. I am just a normal Canadian just wanting to immigrate to the US to join the Marines. I have been through the US immigration website. To me it looks like the only way a Canadian can immigrate to the US is through marrying a US citizen, having a relative in the US, or getting your employer to sponsor you. Is there any way I can immigrate as just a normal Canadian to America?
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:26 am

Not really, you've listed the main methods there. You have to have LPR status to be able to join the Marines, so assuming you have no relative who can sponsor you (which takes an age anyway), no-one to marry and no employer sponsoring you (which also takes years in most cases) the only one you haven't listed there that gives you LPR status right off the bat is to go in as an immigrant investor.

Obviously not practical if you use the regular EB-5 classification as you have to be running a business to get it, but you could go for the immigrant investor centre programme, which in a nutshell requires you to lend $500,000 to a local govt. sponsored project (usually, or some sort of project) for six years and then you get it back with minimal interest.

There are 3,000 visas a year for this programme. Ordinarily I suspect they would go quite quickly but not at the moment.

But of course you need US$500,000 for six years, which will be hard to pull off with the credit crunch unless your parents happen to be very wealthy!
Steve.
Reba

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 pm

If you're going to join the Marines, you should probably spell it correctly. Its Corps, not core.

1 a: an organized subdivision of the military establishment <Marine> <Signal> b: a tactical unit usually consisting of two or more divisions and auxiliary arms and services
2: a group of persons associated together or acting under common direction ; especially : a body of persons having a common activity or occupation <the>

Semper Fi.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!