what can i bring back to Canada?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

lumpydogNew Member
Topic author

what can i bring back to Canada?

Post Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:11 am

Hi everyone!

Just found this site and it looks like a good one. Here's my story. I am a Canadian born citizen who has been in the States for 4 months now. I have been staying with my boyfriend and he now wants to move back to Canada with me. He is a carpenter by trade and where he lives, the economy for his trade is very poor.
He is trying to get a work permit before I have to go back. If he cannot get one in time, he wants to come back with me anyway.
Our question is:
Can I bring back a uhaul trailer with some of his household stuff like washer/dryer, TV, etc. and say they are mine and that I bought them at a garage sale?
What would your advice be?
Thank you in advance.
lumpydogNew Member
Topic author

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:53 am

Just wondering why so many people are viewing this question but nobody is answering?
ClapotiSenior MemberUser avatar

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:38 am

Because I have no idea about what you can bring back ;)
Reba

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:40 pm

no, you cannot bring his household goods into Canada in a U-Haul. If you do that, they'll figure he's trying to immigrate without the hassel of immigration and deny him entry at the border and turn him around back to the States.

Better to just leave it in the US until he's got proper paperwork worked out. Like the work permit and whatever other visa required for him to stay and live in Canada. THEN he can send for his things.

In the meantime, he can bring a suitcase of clothes that he'll need for a visit. Legally, he can visit for up to 6 months, but he won't be able to work during that time.

Not sure what the options are for sponsorship and whatnot, its changed a bit since my hubby and I tried unsuccessfully a few years ago.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!