Will I get Social Security AND Canadian Pension?

Canadian Expats and travelers in the USA can communicate with each other here!

Moderator: visaplace.com

SmartGirl27New Member
Topic author

Will I get Social Security AND Canadian Pension?

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:57 pm

I have worked in Canada in the past and paid pension/QPP etc. I have now been living in the US (california) for 2.5 years and am paying social security.

I plan on staying in the US for 2 more years, moving back to Canada for 3 more years, maybe back to the US for 3 more years. etc. probably jump around or maybe if I find a reason to I'll settle down I have no clue.

Anyway, Do I have to basically choose 1 country and only get their benefits or can I jump around and get both? Is there any stupid rule like "you have to work consecutively in the US or Canada for 5 years to get benefits" Or can I just get whatever I put into it. Is there a minimum stay? What if I decide to leave the US today and have only worked here for 2.5 years. did I just throw away all the $ I put towards Social Security? Can I get it back?
nishantSenior Member

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:57 pm

To get social security benefits, you need to have worked combined 10 years in US/Canada. When due, you can apply and get check for each of the period.

Persons whose country does not have social security if they work in US for say 6 years, lose their money or contribution because s/he did not complete required minimum 40 quarters or 10 years equivalent contributions.

Luckily with US/Canada agreement, you do not lose contributions for partial period of work. However, a person must have contributed equivalent of minimum 6 quarters to be become eligible for US credit.
SmartGirl27New Member
Topic author

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:20 pm

Ok I worked over 6 quarters, how do I get my social security payments back? Thx
Reba

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:12 am

When you are eligible to apply for retirement benefits, you just ask the SSA to send your checks whereevr you are living at time. But you can't get them until you're retirement age. Which for US is going up all the time, so who knows what age it will be when you finally get there.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
B0000rtCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:56 am

Reba wrote:When you are eligible to apply for retirement benefits, you just ask the SSA to send your checks whereevr you are living at time. But you can't get them until you're retirement age. Which for US is going up all the time, so who knows what age it will be when you finally get there.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/

It'll probably be broke by then ;)
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Re: Will I get Social Security AND Canadian Pension?

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:23 pm

SmartGirl27 wrote:Anyway, Do I have to basically choose 1 country and only get their benefits or can I jump around and get both?

I think you can do either/or, you can claim CPP and Social Security but it's not wise to do that as you only get partial benefits. However there is a totalization agreement between Canada and the US so you count up the total amount of years you've contributed in both countries and then you get whatever the amount is for that many years in the country where you reside.

Have a look at www.ssa.gov and do a search for the US-Canada totalization agreement.
Steve.
SmartGirl27New Member
Topic author

Post Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks guys! Looks like I should be fine. if there's anything left of course

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!