Working in a Canadian Embassy Abroad

Talk about anything, with anyone, here.
ravisinghNew Member
Topic author

Working in a Canadian Embassy Abroad

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 am

Hi there,

I have been wanting to find info about working in a Canadian embassy abroad. I wanted to know how to even apply, who to talk to, and what are the credentials and how to get in!

I can't find any info at all on the internet, and I've tried calling Citizenship and Immigration Canada, they told me to call Foreign affairs, and basically its a never ending cycle, of call someone else!

Can anyone help!!

-Thanks a bunch!
axolotlCanuckAbroad VIP

Re: Working in a Canadian Embassy Abroad

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 am

By "working in a Canadian embassy abroad" I assume you mean becoming a Foreign Service officer (diplomat). Visit this website for more information: http://www.international.gc.ca/jobs-emp ... ieres.aspx

Basically, you need to apply at jobs.gc.ca. You must then sit the three "foreign service exams." Assuming you pass and they move you to the interview stage, you must then undergo a series of reference/background checks. Then you are tested on your knowledge of English and French. Assuming you make it through all of that, and they offer you a position, you must then move to Ottawa for a couple years before you are posted somewhere abroad. It's a rough road! Good luck!
ravisinghNew Member
Topic author

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Thank you so much, axolotl..

I took a look at the website, but this looks like information on how to apply for a diplomat position, however I' am looking for a position just at a Embassy, working in the office, helping applicants with immigration, and other embassy duties. I think Canadians working in our embassies abroad are better, because being Canadian, we have a lot to offer working in a foreign country representing our country.

But I can't find any info! Any help is always appreciated.
axolotlCanuckAbroad VIP

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Canadians that handle visa/immigration issues for foreigners at embassies abroad are consular officers and you would have to go through the application process I mentioned above to become one of those.

Administrative duties at foreign embassies are usually performed by local workers, from the host country.

In some cases, you may be able to work as an unpaid intern at an embassy abroad, but you would have to contact the embassy directly to find out about that.
StevenCanuckAbroad VIP
Topics: 6

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 am

Yeah, they pull in a lot of the clerical staff locally. There may be a few non-diplomat jobs but even most of their IT seems to be sourced locally, based on what I've seen.
Steve.
Shanj86New Member

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi there,

If you want pretty much any job through the Canadian gov., whether in the visa office or whatever, you have to do the whole Foreign Service exam bit and all that. However, internships are a good way in, and just applying by being in a foreign country. They do, as mentioned before, use lots of local staff. But you would need to already be living, and have a visa for, the country you want to work in. I'm going to be starting an internship at the embassy in Berlin in sept., and it was actually super easy to get. But I have to have very good written and spoken german, already have a visa and a degree, and have a knowledge of french on top of my english. All information will be on the website of the embassy in the country you want to work in. Otherwise, if not a local recruit, any job you have there is of a diplomatic status.
VovaNew Member

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Can someone tell me what are the assigned duties preformed by the Canadian military police at the Canadian Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine. What do you have to do in order for the government to post you there if you are already a military police candidate currently living and working in Canada? What’s it like working there?
What is the embassies website or phone number?
Thank you
:-| :D
JoeyJuniorNew Member

Post Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I currently work full time for Canada Post. I am also interested in working in a Canadian Embassy abroad. In terms of education. A University degree in which program would benefit someone looking to be hired at a Canadian Embassy? I will be starting at Concordia in the fall and was heading towards a Bachelor's of International Business.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!