Moving Abroad? Shipping Furniture & Pets Overseas

Shipping furniture is expensive, especially if you are planning to do it via airplane and should really only be considered if you are going to stay abroad for many years. It is quite easy to find furnished accommodation in Europe, so if you’re planning to stay for a year or two it makes much more sense to put your furniture in storage for the duration.

The most common way to ship large quantities of goods is in a container on a ship. It is unlikely that you will have enough baggage for an entire container so it is possible to share with another person or persons.

When arranging an overseas move, it is best to contact a reputable international mover. Even if they cost more than you expect, the peace of mind is worth it. Companies that specialize in this sort of thing can advise you on what extra charges you may have to pay. You could be liable for duty, terminal charges, customs charges and sales tax in addition to the shipping charges and insurance. Finding a company you trust will go along way towards helping the whole move run smoothly.

Think carefully before you decide to ship your car. This is really only a good idea if your car is very expensive, unique in someway or modified for special needs. Otherwise, it is much more convenient to sell your car in Canada and buy another one where you are planning to live.

If you do decide to take your car with you, there are a few ways you can ship. An ocean going car ferry is, as the name suggests, a trans-Atlantic ferry. This option is the cheapest but it may take a while to arrange the voyage, as the operator will want to wait until all the spaces are full before making the journey. The more economical choice is to opt for a share container service. You may have to wait a little while until there is enough cargo to fill the rest of the container but sharing is a good compromise between privacy and economics.

Moving with Pets

A word about pets—take the time to check the regulations for both your airline and the country you will be moving to. Island countries like Great Britain and New Zealand have very strict rules and may require your pet to stay in quarantine for up to six months. You will be required to produce a health certificate no matter where you go, which proves your pet is in good health and is up to date on all vaccines, including rabies.