[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - How to get a visa to live / work in the UK

How to get a visa to live / work in the UK

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
mari-macSenior Member

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Stratus - I've just passed the Life in the UK test. If only the questions had some relevance to British life, like the ones you suggest! Instead you get questions on how often children receive an allowance, and what is the day after Christmas called. There wasn't a single question on the social relevance of Big Brother, or define "chav" ;)

The good news is that the Life in the UK test now counts as proof of English. The bad news is it costs £36.
petersmNew Member

Visa assistance for the UK

Post Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:31 am

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a company which can assist me with getting a visa to go live & work in the UK?

Pete
TumbleweedNew Member

re: VISA Sponsor for settlement

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:25 am

Hi All,

I have dual British/Canadian citizenship and am planning on moving to Scotland in November of 2007 with my boyfriend but he'll need a settlement visa. Here's my question:

I just noticed on the High Commission site (and I don't know if this is something new) that the sponsor needs to show proof of pay slips from the UK and since I'm not moving to the UK until November with my boyfriend I obviously won't have any pay slips. As well, since we have to send in the Visa application 3 months in advance I won't have a job set up in Scotland. We will be able to show that we have enough money to cover our costs 'til we find jobs so I'm hoping that's enough. I don't want to call our consulate in Canada because they charge $2.80/minute and won't answer emails. I am so frustrated! My questions are pretty straightforward but they make it so difficult to get in contact with anyone.
feintJunior Member

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:24 am

travellingtNew Member

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:24 pm

liloneNew Member

a few questions

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:05 am

All this information has been helpful, and I'm sure this has been asked or covered, but here's my situation.

I just returned from the UK from a week visit (which I really did not want to come home). But I have been in contact with a club about a possible job. Now my issue is, I have a 4 year old daughter who I will of course need to bring with me. I do have a place to stay when i first arrive there, an aunt who was married a british man, and lives there currently. *Question 1: Can I still get an ancestry visa with a dependent.

Now if this isn't all so much to handle, my mother refuses to let me have a copy of her birth certificate, she was born in Canada but her mother came from Northern Ireland when she was 8, but also refuses to allow me access to a copy of my Grandmothers as well. Its my understanding that Northern Ireland is part of the UK which works well for what I am looking to do. *Question 2: Is there a way to obtain a copy of these birth certificates with out having to battle them out of my unwilling mother? (lol)

Any information would be very helpful. Fell free to email me directly about this, as I am just sitting on this email from this Club, afraid to email them and say, well I want a job, just not yet, if you all understand that.

Thanks again,

Jess
TaraCampbellNew Member

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:18 am

Slim486New Member

Hi there Need help!

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 am

TaraCampbellNew Member

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:20 am

riverfoxSenior Member

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:26 pm

Hey guys, you really should read through the archives there's tons of information which applies to your varying stuations just have a look when you have time. It IS alot of reading though.

In anycase the main options you have are really to have your significant other look into an ancestry visa or a work permit. Barring eligibility for either of those options it may come to a fiancee visa or spousal one. Although it sounds like those would be a little premature.

You are eligible for an Ancestry visa if you have a parent or grandparent whom was born in the UK. If this is the case it's just a matter of sorting out documentation and applying.

HSMP ( highly skilled migrant program ) Is a points based system which may prove a little more problematic depending on the profession of the one applying for the visa.

I Suppose depending on age you could look into the WHM visa which would allow entry into the uk for two years and allow you to work in the UK for 12 non consecutive months.

*shrugs* I would suggest finding a solution sooner rather than later as I've heard alot of rumblings about tightening up the immigration systems here, but who knows how that will pan out.

Either way I wish you luck.

Also have a look at :

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 8696631238

This is the government page with visa information and eligibilty. Hopefully you'll find something that will help resolve your situation.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!