How to get a visa to live / work in the UK

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
flying_soloNew Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: How to get a visa to live / work in the UK

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 am


I just received my Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa, and am wondering if I need to register for a National Insurance number? I am planning to relocate to the UK for the next 10-12 months, and wasn't sure.
If I do need it, however, I was wondering how I would be able to apply for one while I'm still in Canada, so that it can be ready or in process by the time I arrive in the UK. I'm also wondering what the process is like, and how difficult it would be.

Also, because this is the first time I will be moving outside of Canada on my own, I was wondering what government departments I should notify of my relocation to the UK for the next while.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Thank you so much
sleepyCanuckAbroad Regular
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:11 am
Location: London

Re: How to get a visa to live / work in the UK

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 am

when I first arrived, my employer used a temporary NI number until I got my official one. but keep in mind, that was like 7 years ago.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests