[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Your advice/suggestions on living and working in the UK

Your advice/suggestions on living and working in the UK

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
AngelKiriCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:10 am

You might want to come over on a recreational/research trip first to get your bearings and make contacts here.

Also have a look at the British Expatriats websites, theres alot more traffic of Brits going to Canada then vice versa it seems *lol*
TumbleweedNew Member

re: Settlement Visa

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:40 pm

[quote="AngelKiri"]
already had a boyfriend in England whose parents were kind enough to sign a letter & photocopy the deed to their house stating that they would let me stay at their house in the intermn. you need to have some sort of abode ready & waiting for you when you arrive & provide proof of it (lease or deed) in your application as well as proving that you are financially viable (not in debt & have substantial amount of savings to carry

quote]

I am going to be applying for a settlement visa for my boyfriend in the next month or so (I have dual Canadian/British citizenship) but we were planning on looking for a place to live when we get there, since it would be insane to rent a place 3 months before our arrival. I have been trying to get in contact with the British Consulate in Ottawa but they charge $2.80 per minute for any visa question so forget about that! I am going to ask a relative if I can use their address on the application but we wouldn't actually need to stay with them. Do I have to ask them for a copy of the deed to their house? It seems kind of intrusive.I'm hoping I can just list their address and telephone # on the application. Also, if I attach copies of bank accounts is that proof enough that I can afford to support myself? Thanks.
pologuy85New Member

Getting a British Passport

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

My father was born in Scotland and still holds his British passport and we're looking into getting me one as well. I'm looking to travel to Britain and potentially stay there and I'm curious as to what I'le to do with my passport. I.e: I was told that because my father is from Britain that if I reside in the U.K for a full year with my passport that I can attend a university for free. Is this true and also do i need to get a visa to work and any advice on living there would be a HUGE help.

Sincerely Tom
p.s: Does anyone know of any good Water Polo Clubs over there?
oohmercymeModerator
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:02 am

HI Pologuy- welcome to the board.

In regards to univsersity fees, said to say that even with an EU passport one needs to have *resided* in the UK/EU for three years (36 months) before paying homeland uni fees. I have been a dutch citizen for 39 months, but have only resided in the UK for 34 months and must still pay overseas tuition fees. I have been looking into these and there does not seem to be flexibility. (Presumabily to keep people from coming here just to get a free education!)

The university I attend is not free for anyone, it may be different at other universities.

As for a work visa, why not get an ancestry visa or (it sounds like you are eligible) your own passport? It makes life a lot easier than having to mess with visas.
feintJunior Member

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:17 am

NixxiNew Member

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:55 am

Classroom CanadaCanuckAbroad Regular

Teach the World in London, England

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:06 pm

guess3girlNew Member

no clue need some serious help please.......................

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:42 pm

black sheepJunior Member

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:02 pm

ukorbustNew Member

Post Fri May 16, 2008 12:14 am

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!