[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Look here first -> Banking in the UK

Look here first -> Banking in the UK

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
londonkevNew Member

barclays

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:24 am

seem to be more relaxed than the other banks.i simply supplied a letter from my employer, a copy of a bank statement (yes the took a downloaded one from the web), my passport and my drivers license with the same address that i had on my bank statement.

and bob is your uncle!
00ViggenNew Member

Banking in the UK

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:43 am

To tell you the truth, I fond this procedure very easy. I had been banking with Royal Bank in Canada for many years, but when I had decided that I'd be moving to the UK, I opened a sterling savings account with HSBC in Canada.

I then arranged through the HSBC Canada people to open a bank account with HSBC UK. I just had to show them my entry clearance papers, and they handled the rest. Infact, i got my debit card, and account details including internet banking before even leaving Canada.

No problems at all, infact, it was a seamless transition, a couple wire transfers later, and it was as though nothing happened.
mel_82Junior Member

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:14 pm

I've got to say my banking process was pretty much painless as well. I went with Barclay's. I went to the branch on Strand in London. I had my contract of employment from Harrod's plus my rent agreement, but didn't need them. All I needed was my passport, Ontario drivers licence with my home address on it, as well as a bank statement from home within the last three months. I got the most basic account with a visa electron card and it doesn't have any fees with it except when I take money out abroad. They sent everything out single piece by single piece in the mail for security purposes. I'm happy with everything. The only thing is the bank hours suck, but thats standard with all their banks here. Was getting spoiled it seemed at home with TD having teller hours til 8.
francois51Junior Member

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:08 am

aridlandNew Member

Its Current Accounts that Are Hard

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:10 pm

Its opening a full on current account that is so hard. If you don't need an overdraft then you can get an account with The Co-operative Account called the Cashminder relatively easy. You will need a permanent address and a way to prove that. A lease will work.

If you are coming here with a job offer, then a good company would help you open a full on current account with the bank which does their corporate bank accounts. Speak to someone in HR or even your accounts department if the support is not offered up front.

Before you leave find out who your current Canadian bank uses as its correspondent bank in the UK. A reference letter from one to the other will help immensely. If you bank with a credit union, there are now some credit unions here in the UK which offer proper bank accounts. You can find more information at the ABCUL org website . If there isn't a suitable credit union for you, head for The Co-operative Bank
BoomkaNew Member

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:37 am

Go to HSBC in Canada. Open an account. When you want to move to the UK, tell HSBC and they will set up an account for you in the HSBC branch of your choosing in the UK. You will arrive in the UK with a fully functioning bank account, minus your credit rating.
Daniel GrahamNew Member

Re: Banking

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:29 am

feintJunior Member

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23 am

LAYDYJunior Member

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 am

I went to a barclays a few days ago and it was pretty easy to open up my bank account, which is quite surprising! Thought it would be a nightmare! Went there last Friday, told them i wanted to open up a bank account. They asked my if i had a job or if i was a student. Then i took an appointment for the next Monday morning. All I needed was my passport and driving license. they did'nt ask me for any proof of address. They just asked for my address so they can send me a confirmation letter and my debit card. Took about 30-45 minutes and it was all done.

I went to the Barclays on Borough High street right next to the London Bridge Station. If that can help anyone.

Good luck!
bethlee77CanuckAbroad Regular

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:41 am

I had an interesting experience opening up a bank account that i thought i would share. I went to RBS bc that's where my boyfriend has his account. They took my passport, a bank letter, evidence of me finding work with my UK address and old bank statements but it wasn't satisfactory. They needed more evidence of my address here in the UK so we had to go the council and add me to the house council tax. Thank goodness it was right across the street from the bank. Now we're waiting on getting a little council tax card before i can get a bank account opened. So, i'm without a bank account and hoping i can take money out using debit bc it didn't work last time i was here! Whoever was able to just walk into a bank and open up an account easily was lucky! They are becoming stricter!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!