[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Look here first -> Banking in the UK

Look here first -> Banking in the UK

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
Daniel GrahamNew Member

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:04 am

bethlee77CanuckAbroad Regular

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:19 am

You are definitely right about strict but I didn't have a problems getting a debit card with RBS once I opened my account. I am just waiting for my pin number which is in the mail but there's a Royal Mail strike right now. I am not sure how long I will have to wait if i want to get a credit card. I know that might take awhile.
murtle_007CanuckAbroad Regular

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:16 am

Oh dear, I was hoping to use RBS because my friend works for them :\. HSBC sounds like a good idea, have them do some of the work from here ^^
bethlee77CanuckAbroad Regular

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:49 pm

NixxiNew Member

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:44 am

My experience was easy peasy.

When I applied at Barclays (Strood, Kent). I brought in my job offer letter, my TD Bank statement, Passport, my current Master Card,Ontario driver's licence and the manager did a credit check on the spot and voila I had an account.
I was told I'd have to wait a year for a UK credit card though. My Canadian credit card expired and they (Bank of Montreal) never warned me they wouldn't renew it.

Luckly, if I need to get somethings on credit my British husbnd does it for me and I just pay him the money insted. Come January 13th it will be a year am here so I will be able to apply for one shortly, wow where has the year gone
maplefantaNew Member

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:01 pm

My experience with UK banking was quite good as well, I am with Lloyds and it was troubleless to open the account and get a pretty good service at my branch.

Lloyds was easy because you didn't need a proof of UK address to open the account nor any specific documents other than the passport for Canadian.
Lloyds had an agreements that enable canadians (and a certain number of other nationalities) to open an account with only a passport.
Other banks (NatWest particularly) I had visited previously immediately turned me down requesting particular paper or a renting contract which I didn't have.

I got to create my account with my passport - driver license and employment letter. I did it at my local branch in Poole.
Classroom CanadaCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:19 pm

lynndyhopSenior Member

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi Everyone!

Another banking idea - HSBC has banks in Canada as well as the UK. While they can't do an automatic activation of a UK account, they do start processing your account activation here, and then when you arrive, you go to a branch, flash your passport and something confirming your current address (offer from an employer, UK driver's license, NIC, Gas/Elec bill or Phone bill, and it's all set up for you on the spot.

Since I'm planning on turning in my BC Drivers license for a uk one, I'm going to use that, plus my passport.

Hope that helps!
murtle_007CanuckAbroad Regular

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:58 pm

lynndyhopSenior Member

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:41 am

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!