[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Changing your Canadian Licence for British one

Changing your Canadian Licence for British one

For Canadians living / traveling in the UK
gregwtravelsNew Member

Re: Changing your Canadian Licence for British one

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:03 am

To exchange a Canadian license, check out the DVLA section on the directgov website. (I'd provide a link, but apparently still haven't posted enough to be considered a spammer).

You fill out the application, and either mail it in or take it to a DVLA office. I don't think you can use the premium checking service at the post office to exchange a foreign license.

Greg
confused-ukJunior Member

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi

I have a Class 4 BC Licence (Ambulance, Limo, taxi and Bus up to 21 passenger). I am wondering if I get to keep this class when changing over my licence. Also I have a motorcycle licence. Am I able to keep it as well?

Thanks
ubercamJunior Member

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:51 am

rainbowhavenCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:00 am

Just to let you all know that proof of ownership and insurance on a manual vehicle didn't work for me.

However as I had 2 copies of my Canadian license I now have a Canadian and British license as a back up in emergencies if I have to drive manual over here.
leannesandnerJunior Member

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Can anyone help me I have been living in the UK for ^ months now I am living here on a spousal visa, I want to exchange my canadian licence for a British one. I already drive automatic and plan on staying with automatic I have a car and i am driving on my licence the question is to exchange for british one says you need to be a permanent resident do I qualify as one?? and can I change to british one on the visa I am currently. because my visa is 27 months and cant apply until month before expires to stay here permantly... and my licence only valid for one year... any advice would be greatly appreciate

thanks
ubercamJunior Member

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 pm

lynzSuper Member

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 am

does anyone know if you would be allowed to drive if you just got an IDP instead?? Say for instance you knew you were only going to stay for a year or so (IDP's are only valid for a year) but you wanted to travel around as well. Would it be worth it just to go for an IDP instead?
ubercamJunior Member

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 am

You don't need an IDP since your licence is presumably already in English. If you have a Quebec licence and it's in French only, then you might want to get one. An IDP is nothing more than a translation of your licence into other languages. If you were to drive on the continent, you might need one, depending where you're going. In western Europe an English language licence should be fine... that is to say I've never had problems, but YMMV.

It should be fine to keep your Canadian licence if you're only going to be here under a year, but beware that getting insured on a British vehicle will probably not be easy or cheap. Not many insurers like foreign licences. If you're renting cars, then there's no difference. Also, if you live here for more than a year, you're not meant to be driving on a foreign licence. I know some people on here have done it for many years, but it's not strictly legal and I would advise against it.
lynzSuper Member

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

thanks for clarifying! You certainly don't learn if you don't ask :biggrin: I'm not particularly looking to own another car (and in another country) but rather thought if I were travelling around and needed to rent a car in another European country or if I were ever with someone and something happened in which they couldn't continue driving and needed me to drive, then at least I know I'd be "legally" allowed to drive with my Ontario drivers licence (thankfully the first vehicle I learned how to drive was a manual as well).
ucb1New Member

Post Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Can someone clarify what's the minimum visa requirement to exchange a BC visa for UK one?

I am in UK on a visitor's visa, but do not want to take chances for getting into trouble for driving on a non-EU visa...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!