Leasing home while non-resident

Latest additions and features found here, and please make suggestions!
cleveltoNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Leasing home while non-resident

Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 am

We are planning to move to Dubai for several years for work and will become non-residents while away. We understand that we have to fill in the CRA Form T1161 as we will not sell our principal residence, and then do a T4055 upon return. My question is that since we will not sell our house, and our adult children will continue to live there, will this hurt our non-resident status. Should we do a long term lease to them, or through a third party agent?
cleveltoNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Leasing home while non-resident

Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:46 am

Firstly, I will be considered a resident of the UAE if I move to Dubai, so hopefully that would cure the problem.

Secondly, would I be allowed to lease to a third party at market rates, and in turn they lease to our children?
madhatterNew Member

Re: Leasing home while non-resident

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 pm

From what I have read on here, I wouldn't apply to be a non-resident.
also, your home has to be at arms length. You need a lease of a year to someone who is not family or familiar to you so you can show your home is not readily accessible. Your daughters won't provide that, unfortunately. Having a home that is accessible is a real problem. Can you rent the house and pay for the girls to live somewhere else? I understand that's a tough one....

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!