[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - F1 to TN-1 status

F1 to TN-1 status

Latest additions and features found here, and please make suggestions!
alvannyNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

F1 to TN-1 status

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 am

Hello All,

I did read but my situation is a little different: still on an F1 student visa, I'm finished my course studies but haven't graduated yet (my project is almost finished). Currently a matriculating graduate student.

Last summer I went on my CPT (curricular practical training) and this summer employer has now offered me a job full-time. They are willing to petition me for a TN-1 work status, because I qualify with my undergraduate degree.

So I haven't graduated yet, which means I can't use OPT (optional practical training).

Question: can I switch from F1 student to TN-1 work status? According to my employer and their law firm, I can, and still continue my degree as a part-time student, but it will be nice to hear your thoughts. It's very difficult to walk away from a job offer in these times, and I haven't had the best of luck with anything lately. It *is* a full-time permanent job, and I understand that the TN visa is only "temporary", even though the governments have extended it to 3 years instead of 1 for renewal?
mimichatNew Member

Re: F1 to TN-1 status

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:17 pm

I have to agree with steve, he knows what he is talking about. My husband and I came to the US 5 years ago with an H1 B visa so we are resident aliens, it is much easier this way in terms of taxes and just having both feet in one country. Also through the H1B we can get sponsored for a green card. A TN visa while fast to expediate is very unstable ( mind you even an HI B is unstable and even though you file US taxes you still do not have permanent status and your a no body) but at least it brings less hassels. If your employer is offering you a job just petition them to bring you on with an H1B.
Mimi

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!