[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Trying to Obtain UK Passport

Trying to Obtain UK Passport

Latest additions and features found here, and please make suggestions!
nelsonaCanuckAbroad Regular

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:30 pm

c_ward84New Member

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:32 am

annmNew Member

Re: Trying to Obtain UK Passport

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Neither my husband nor I have parents or grandparents born in the UK or EU. We are 3rd generation Canadians. My daughter wants to work in England but has not been able to find a way to get a passport or 4 or 5 year work visa. She is 31 received her MA in London England in 2007 (rules for Visa have changed since she graduated). Please, if you have any information or ideas we would be very grateful.
jjjNew Member

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:49 pm

OK Waterwaterwaterloolooloo: How did you do it!?!?

I am in the same boat as everyone else. My father was born in Scotland and I have been desperately trying to find out (a)if I am eligible and (b) how to get my UK passport. No one seems to have any definitive answers.
Please help us! You've obviously been through the process. Where do we start?
Thanks
c_ward84New Member

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:04 am

I did some extensive research in December about this all. My dad was born in Scotland as well. And it is going to depend on what year you were born in as to what way you can obtain your passport. I know for myself I was born in 1984, and what Ive been told is that if you are born after 1983 to a father who is of UK decent then you should have been british at birth...BUT your parents would have had to been married at the time of your birth. If they were, then you should have no problem. You'll need to get your father's full form birth certificate as well as your full form birth certificate stating him as the father. You will also need your parents marriage certificate and then you can print off a passport application. There is a sepcific one for someone who is British by decent(which woudl be you if all this applies) You can find it on the web. IF your parents were not married at the time of your birth, but were married shortly there after, it is going to depend on what province you were born in. I was born in Ontario and at the time of my birth and my parents marriage, Ontario had abolished a law inreagrds to illigitimate births...but reinstated it in 1990. I believe I was told this law was abolished from 1980-1990. So if you were born within that time frame in Ontario, and your parents were married after your birth(I believe within that 10 years) Then you were ligitimized upon their marriage, making you british once they were married. As for any other province, Im sorry I don't know what applies. So there are many different factors that affect whether or not your eligiable to obtain a british passport. Also, who is this for? Because if it is for just yourself, then that is fine. But your family(wife/husband and children) will not be eligible for a british passport based on your father. They would need to obtain visa's.
Hope I was able to help.
Also, alot of the advice and answers I got was from this website
http://www.ukresident.com/forums/
Its a forum site like this, and there are some very knowledgable people on there. Hope all works out for you!
c_ward84New Member

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:07 am

Im sorry, I forgot to mention that if you were born before 1983, there are still ways to go about it all, but as far as I know it gets a little more tricky. But if you were born before 1983, you really should go to the website I posted above, and even if you were born after 1983. Im sure you might find some more info I couldn't give you. Someone there should be able to help you!
c_ward84New Member

Post Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:26 am

Sorry, one last site that should be of some help as well
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... noverseas/
unicornpNew Member

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:13 am

Hello Jules...
I am in the middle of obtaining my British Passport...I too am a Canadian Citizen...born and bred...however both my parents (deceased) were British citizens/subjects...go to the British Embassy website in Ottawa for the link to the UK Border Agency...and download the GUIDE UKM and the FORM UKM...it will give you all the information you need...I believe from what I have read that the British Embassy of Canada has been joined with the British Embassy of USA...therefore now resides in Washington...and it sounds to me like there is a charge of 2.90 per minute to get information over the phone! I just joined this Canuck abroad and will try to learn more and share...do share if you have learned more..
Cheers,
Patience
pageNew Member

Post Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:20 am

My dad was born in England and has been in Canada more than half his life. I applied for a U.K passport and got one no problem. Very easy. Just downloaded forms and mailed them and got a passport very quickly.
joelietzNew Member

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!