How to do taxes in Germany

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
LisaTNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

How to do taxes in Germany

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 am

Hi there,

I am likely to use a local accountant that speaks English to do my taxes here in Germany before I leave. I am declared as a factual resident in Canada. I rent a flat that I own in Canada while I have been here (1 year) and have a property manger mange it for me. Do I declare the rental income when I do my German taxes or when I do my Canadian taxes?

Any help is much appreciate. Thanks!

Lisa
LisaTNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: How to do taxes in Germany

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I neglected some details that would help.

Actually I am only here for only one year for a work and travel visa. All my ties are with canada from having my own flat, bank accounts, credit cards, health insurance, etc. I only rent my flat as I am away for the year hence my declaration as a facutual resident. I will be heading home in November after the visa ends.

With that being said, I am still unsure if I need to declare the my rental income in Canada when I do my German taxes.

Thanks for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.
LisaTNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 am

Thanks for your help. I talked to a couple of people about it and they agreed with you in terms of filing the german taxes with germany and anything dealing with Canada will be with the Canadian taxes which is much simplier. If I was a permanent resident for Germany, I would have to declare the rental income I believe with my German taxes.

Greatly appreciate your help! Have a good one!
snow_angelJunior Member

Post Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:27 am

I doubt that you are a permanent German resident but I could be wrong. I have lived here almost 3 years and I only have a "Aufenthalterlaubnis" which is a visa saying that you are "allowed" to live in German for a certain time period ( 1 to 3 years) and is renewable. A permanent residency visa is a "Niederlassungserlaubnis" which can only be given after the min 3 plus years of "Aufenthalterlaubnis" visa expires. However I did read that if you have a bank here and your kids are going to school here than this is your permanent residency. Ask someone at the "Auslanderamt".
rke001New Member

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:24 am

Hi Lisat, did you actually file a NR73 form to get your residency status determined for Canadian tax purposes? I am in a similar situation, i have a condo in Canada and Im renting it out. I have all my ties in Canada (bank account, credit cards, DL, etc...). I am just wondering whether I will be eligible for a "deemed resident" in Canada.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!