English Speaking Jobs in Germany?!?

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
colingkNew Member

Re: English Speaking Jobs in Germany?!?

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 am

Just stumbled across the site and the conversation re Racism. I have been living outside of Canada for 15 years now. First in the UK, then Germany shortly and now Dubai. If there is one thing I have learned is that no nation has a monopoly on Racism. It is everywhere and most everyone is racist to a degree. Some places more rather than less perhaps. (It is particularly bad here in Dubai where the notion that an entire race is inferior is not even questioned by large segments of the population). As much as I love Canada I encounterd more racism in Canada and the UK then I did in Germany.
If you are thinking about living abroad I would say that more to the question is do you find the culture and way of life (values, education, social structure) apealling to you and something you can live with. I enjoyed England, but found it frustrating. I found Germany great very enjoyable, eficient, good social structures, great public transport. I despise Dubai even more than Calgary (and thats from an Edmontonian).
cfkaiNew Member

Post Mon May 11, 2009 2:06 pm

Since there has been a lot of negative talk I would like to express my experience as a German living in Canada.

First of all I have to agree that some areas of the German school system are a bid behind. But it is not about what's taught, it is the 3-school system and the fact that the states are responsible. If you reside in Baden Wurttemberg or Bayern the standard is actually very high. However, you can not compare the level of a Gymnasium to a Canadian high school! The level of knowledge graduating from Gymnasium is almost like college level here. You graduate with 2 foreign languages. The problem is to get into the Gymnasium as this i decided in grade 5 and some kids don't make it. Also look at the size of classes in Germany versus Canada. Bachelor degrees have just been introduced due to Globalisation and are lower then the traditional Diplom that is taught by German Universities (free education) an accepted all over Europe. In fact in Europe the Diplom has a higher standard than a Master degree. That much to the education system. Yes, we are behind when it comes to offer only one school system and all day care but rememeber our culture is thousands of years old.

To the family aspect I have to tell you that you can say what you want the social system in Germany is one of the best in the world for families. Not just financial support but also other areas such as time off and work hours given. I have a 6 figure income job and came to Vancouver 5 years ago. My son was born in 2005 and all I have been doing is work. 50 to 60 hours, 10 days vacation, combined with high living costs and a bad social system. I am in the highest tax bracket and will most likely never be able to buy a house here. Try to find a family Dr...or get a surgery that is not urgent.
In my culture your parents won't let you leave when you are 18, here they can't wait to show you the door. We take our elders back home, here they end up in an elderly home.

I love Canada, especially Vancouver and am married to a Canadian. However, the only way to enjoy life here is with a big bank account and I am better off to visit for vacation. If I would make 50% of what I make here in Germany, my quality in life would still be better.

We have a saying in Germany "not everything that shines is Gold". There are pros and cons about Germany and Canada. The people that criticise and say never to go there with family are blinded. Where do you have 6 weeks paid vacation, 35 to 40 hour avareage work weeks, stat holidays, free education, almost free day care (I pay $1000 here), heavy child support, subesidized 1% low mortgage rates for families, % income tax depending on family status, one of the best labour protection in the world and and and...

To the racism I won't even mention anything more then you will experience this in some degree in any culture. Canada is not any better when it comes to asians and east indians as well as first nations.

It all comes down to personal experience and the area you live in.

Hey, I see things in Germany that I like better than in Canada. It does not mean I don't love Canada. At least the gas, cars, and salmon is cheaper, right? And for business owners I would say that Canada would be the better choice too. Don't say Germany sucks for Families though as anyone who sais this has no idea what they are talking about....

Cheers,
frustratedNew Member

Post Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 am

HI there I totally agree with Wyatt and Scott. I come from Pakistan and have been living in Germany for quite some years- This is nothng against Germany but what Scott and Wyatt said is actually true. I guess everybody´s experience is different but some facts remain the same. First of all Germany is not a country or place for educated foreigners and GOD if you speak English its like considered a sin here. The Germans hate English like anything, they teach their children English at such a late age. Lets face it English is the most important language and come on its a universál language, without English you cannot travel around the world let alone anything else..yet the Germans live in their own little shells and dont want to accept anything outside it....its amazing really. All Im saying is that for God´s sake atleast learn English if nothing else. German is a beautiful language just like other languages but u can still survive without all other languages but definately NOT ENGLISH!!! Canada is a very multicultural country my family has lived there for many years but definately not experienced any of the problems that I am facing here in this beautiful GERMANY definately a wrong country to be living in...

-- Wed May 13, 2009 6:37 am --

HI there I totally agree with Wyatt and Scott. I come from Pakistan and have been living in Germany for quite some years- This is nothng against Germany but what Scott and Wyatt said is actually true. I guess everybody´s experience is different but some facts remain the same. First of all Germany is not a country or place for educated foreigners and GOD if you speak English its like considered a sin here. The Germans hate English like anything, they teach their children English at such a late age. Lets face it English is the most important language and come on its a universál language, without English you cannot travel around the world let alone anything else..yet the Germans live in their own little shells and dont want to accept anything outside it....its amazing really. All Im saying is that for God´s sake atleast learn English if nothing else. German is a beautiful language just like other languages but u can still survive without all other languages but definately NOT ENGLISH!!! Canada is a very multicultural country my family has lived there for many years but definately not experienced any of the problems that I am facing here in this beautiful GERMANY definately a wrong country to be living in...
paulawallaNew Member

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 am

Hi there

I'm new here and just saw your 2006 post. Are you in Berlin now? I'm considering moving to Berlin within the next year with my Germany bf. temporarily anyway.

Any advice would be helpful. I'm not fluent in German, however, am learning the language.

Cheers
Paula
Vancouver BC
swed321New Member

Post Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:07 am

CDN wrote:Hey everyone,
I'm new to this, hopefully someone can help me out. I intend on moving to Berlin (from Ottawa) with my bf in the fall and I am trying to find english speaking jobs in Germany and can't seem to find any relevant websites or job sites.

From what I heard, many companies operate in the English language within their headquarters. Any ideas as to how I should go about finding an English speaking job in Germany?
Thanks!

Several companies are operating their business in English here in Germany, but if you learn the Deutsch language you will get job definitely. And some websítes and Jobs blogs also giving more information about ow to get English speaking jobs in Germany.
for example http://jobsingermany.blogspot.com :D
raphaelNew Member

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 am

Wow I am from Ottawa and I speak fluent French, having lived 20 years in France. Talk about ignorant and racist... The Quebecois have the gold medal, and I haven't seen anything like it yet in Germany. Canadians should promote friendship and understanding, so I will do my best to fit into this country, because, just by the way....nobody is forcing you to live here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richymany2kNew Member

Post Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:15 am

Hi there,
Am a Ugandan IT professional planning to move to Frankfurt,German in about 5 months.
I would like any one to guide me on how i can get a simple job or work permit to get me started before i get there. Am currently working as a PC Technician here since 2008,am proficient in English Language and i hold a BscIT,CCNA,CCNP,GIS,CCA,A+.Any one help me out here.
JennelleNew Member

English Speaking Jobs in Germany?!?

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:25 am

Hello my name is Jennelle, I am trying to find some type of work in Berlin for August. I need a job there due to the fact I have found a Hockey team to play for. I need a job to pay bills here in canada. Does anyone know of a good website or contact in Berlin? I have been looking but they do seem to make it a bit tricky.
moya90New Member

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Hmm...oh well...you can't blame the German School system for that...over 50% of the students in Germany attend to Gymnasium and get their Abitur...in Germany you have to work to get good results...I got my Abitur without anyone helping me...
I do agree on your statement...German school system isn't that good...but this has nothing to do with Hauptschule, Realschule or Gymnasium...It's up to you (or you kids) what school you attend to.
nraduletNew Member

Post Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 am

Hi there,

It´s true living in Germany as a foreign person is slightly different than let´s say living in UK as a foreigner.
I lived in UK for 7 years and now I live in Germany for more than a year and I can say you don´t get the tolerance or acceptance here in Germany as you receive in other countries, but in the end of the day let´s be honest: nobody but you decides which country you choose to live in.
For what I saw so far Germany is absolutely wonderful.
Everything is so precise and so organize here, no question foreign things or persons are not in their element 100 %.
For those looking for jobs in Germany you can find a list of websites on www,myjobingermany,com

Hope this helps !

Nick.

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!