Questions about UK Ancestry Visa and moving to Germany

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
thesparrowNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Questions about UK Ancestry Visa and moving to Germany

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:32 am

Okay so, this may be a bit of a confusing situation, but if anyone could shed some light on this- it would be much appreciated.

In March, I will be leaving for Germany. I will only be staying here for about 3 weeks and will then be travelling to Norway, France and England (this will all take course within about 2 1/2 months)...

After I have travelled around, I plan/hope to move to Germany. I do not hold any citizenship for EU, and I am aware it will be rather difficult for me to find a job once I get over there because I am still learning German/am not so great with it as of yet. Now, I know I will still be entitled to 90 days over there as a Canadian- visa free (please correct me if I'm wrong).

My dilemma: If I am not able to find a job in time, I assume there is no way to stay in Germany for longer than 90 days. If nothing works out in my time spent there, I was planning on going/moving to England- as I know I will be able to stay for up to 5 years because I am fully eligible for a UK Ancestry Visa, and am in the process of applying for it now.

Now come the questions:

- Is there a way to stay in Germany for longer than 90 days if I have not yet found employment?
if so, what would I need to apply for, and how would I go about doing that?

- If I apply and become approved for a UK Ancestry visa, I know that this visa does not allow me to work anywhere other than the UK. But IF I end up finding work in Germany/obtain a work visa, will I be able to live/travel in Europe/Germany while STILL holding the UK Ancestry visa?

- If I am clearly travelling Europe and my passport is inspected- them seeing I have a UK ancestry visa, will this cause any problems?

- Should I even apply for my UK Ancestry visa now? It's being used as more of a 'back up' than anything- but I may end up wanting to be there instead of Germany in the end.

- If I do not apply for my UK Ancestry while I am still in Canada, will I be able to do so while I am in Germany/travelling Europe? I would obviously bring all the necessary documents with me.

So essentially, my first choice is Germany. But I don't know what will happen during my travels and I may end up wanting to stay in the UK. I just don't want to go ahead and spend 500 dollars on the process of applying for a UK Ancestry visa if I am going to run into problems...

Thank you so much/ sorry if some of these have already be answered. I have been running in circles for months, trying to find what my best route is.

:shock:
misterrodgerNew Member

Re: Questions about UK Ancestry Visa and moving to Germany

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 pm

How exactly are you able to make your claim for the UK ancestry visa? You might just be able to apply for a passport, which would grant you UK citizenship, then you can stay in Germany indefinitely.

You can apply wherever you are in Europe, but I think you have to get a co-signer, so if that person is back home you will have to send mail back and forth across the Atlantic. Not a big deal, but if you're under time constraints (like the 90 days) you might want to know what your plan is ahead of time.

As for your other questions, I can't see that the Ancestry visa would count against you in any way, I think you can then travel more freely throughout Europe, but to work in another country you will still need a visa (which you will get once you get an offer of work).

If you just want to stay past the first 90 days I have heard you can just apply for a temporary permit and they generally will grant you up to an additional 90 days.

I'm not a lawyer or professional, so this is all just what I have heard...don't take my word for it!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!