[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
View topic - Want to move to Germany

Want to move to Germany

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
sheriff_carterNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Want to move to Germany

Post Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi there!
I'm thinking about moving to Germany from Canada in a couple of years.
I am wondering if you can give your opinion on few subjects...
1. How do you generally like the climate there? I'm thinking more about southern part of the country (Bayern etc)
2. How hard to find a skilled job from Canada? I'm working in IT, so I'm thinking about finding a job in Germany and move there with a work visa.
3. How is it usually going with prolonging the documents/visa after a year or two? Is there any progress with Blue card and stuff?
4. How you usually treated by Germans?
5. Are there any benefits of being a Canadian to get there or live in there?
Id' really appreciate any information or experience you can share. Thanks!
sheriff_carterNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Want to move to Germany

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:49 am

sheriff_carterNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Thank you for your answers, angemon84!
Interesting results. Would love to hear from other people as well to compare
diego_mendez_cNew Member

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 am

Hello Sheriff:
I moved from Calgary to London to Frankfurt. Germany is almost as good as Canada (Still Canada is the best!!!!). Munich and Frankfurt are the most international cities. You can survive with English in these two cities, but it would be a big challenge anywhere else, including Berlin... Young people speak English, but this is a big limitation out of Munich and Frankfurt.
Munich: The best city of Germany. Some people said that they are kind of nazzi, but not really... i guess they are jealous of the excellent economy of that region. Nice town, nice weather, really hot in summer and not so bad as Canada in winter. Nice festival, nice chicks, I love that city.
Frankfurt: Good for families, a lot of fairs, the banks are here, they said it is the most international city of Germany (may be...).
Other cities of Germany are smaller and a lot of German is required. I do not speak anything of German, but if i were planning to stay in the long run, i would learn German... But I am here only for 6 months and then back to my lovely Calgary and its -40.

How to get a visa? i explained a little bit in a different posting... It is doable and actually easy.

You should be bale to extend your visa without problem. you can start with a Working visa (Blue card) and after two years you can switch to permanent residence. Read about Blue card, but better: find a relocation agent. Being Canadian is a huge advantage to get your visa.

Finally, how i feel being latino (Colombian) in Germany (I have double passport). Fine! Not a problem. it would be easier if I speak German... the only thing: the service at the restaurants... the waiter is rude, but not because you are foreigner... it is just because you are a customer. They are equally rude to Germans or foreigners. Only that we have more chances to ask something stupid and then more chances to get a bad time. Just do not take it personally...

I do not regret my experience in Germany. I did 1.5 years in UK and 0.5 years in Germany... i wish i would have done that backwards... Those British!!! Nice, but not what was expected...

Go for Germany, do it before you turn 35... Check on websites: UK websites, German websites... many of the German jobs in English are posted in UK (that is how i ended up here)

GL
yovanna_cvNew Member

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Diego, Would you mind sharing a couple of those UK websites where I could find postings for jobs in Germany in English? Thank you!
Ken S.New Member

Post Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:38 pm

1. I lived in southwestern Germany for a year. The climate is more moderate than most parts of Canada - I guess you could say that temp. wise it's maybe like Vancouver, but does not rain so much. There's generally little snow, however, the year that I was there was not typical as in mid-January at one point it was 20-25 Celsius in January. Sometimes during the summer it reached 30 or Celsius, but it was a dry heat. Overall, I found the weather to be much more agreeable than here in Canada. I really miss it, although there are some days in the autumn when the weather reminds me of Germany, and that brings back good memories.
JamesA.caNew Member

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:41 am

Hey there, best of luck in your decision.

I have lived in Bavaria in a while now and would just like to point out a few things. Bavaria is an amazing Bundesland, the clocks really do tick differently here and I`m sure youll love it. Couple things you should be aware of though:
- Through my experience, Bavaria has a very low percentage of competent English speakers and will be very hesitant to hire someone without a strong command in German, and if they do, it will be very difficult for you to get through that. Your best bet to work in Bavaria in IT with only English would certainly be Munich.
- Bavaria has an extremely strong strong regional dialect with a different grammar and vocabulary. I dont know if you already have a command of German, but if so or if not, it will take a very long time to be able to talk to the locals (this of course, excluding Munich).

So think about it a bit! If you want to move to Bavaria and can afford it (it is the most expensive city in Germany), move to Munich. If not, German and a willingness to take on Bavarian is absolutely essential.

Working Visa is very easy. The advantage we have as Canadians in comparison with, as mentioned, third world countries, is that we have a 3 month visa free stay and most of our credentials are accredited in Germany. This means you can apply for your visa in Canada or in Germany, if you do it in Germany, you get a intermediate Visa called a Fiktionsbescheinigung, as soon as you express interest in working in Germany (it gives you 3 months right after you express interest). You do this at an Ausländerbehörde. For the work Visa, you should certainly get your documents certified and/or translated. If youre planning to do this in 2 years, then just take your time and be 100% sure. Certify your certificates and qualifications with Foreign Affairs Canada, send that to the nearest German Embassy for translation/German Authentication. Extending the Visa is easy - i wouldnt worry about that. If you prove that youre still working, you can stay, very simple.
JamesA.caNew Member

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:02 am

With regards to actually getting the job, you are right. It is a disadvantage being a Canadian, as we arent a part of the EU. A part of the Visa process is a search that there isnt someone within the EU who can and is willing to do your job, if so, they will get it instead of you. Just take advantage of what youve got and find a very specific job that you are specialized in, and that preferably requires a strong command of English, as that would increase the chances that someone in the EU couldnt actually do your job. It isnt the company that immediately can hire you, in the end the Foreign office will decide if your stay is necessary or not. With regards to how you will be treated by Germans (in your case Bavarians), you will likely be treated absolutely great - because you are Canadian. Foreigners who dont HAVE to be in Bavaria are generally treated totally fine - it means that you WANT to be there and that shows interest in Bavaria which is taken as a compliment and really works in your favour.
JamesA.caNew Member

Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:15 am

Another possibility you may want to consider (assuming youre under 35(?) approx.) is getting a Youth Mobility Visa. You can only get this in Canada a German Consulat and it is an amazing opportunity, its how I started. It gives you permission to live, stay, and work in any part of Germany for up to 1 year. The process is very easy, you just need to fill some forms, bring your passport, and proof of a place to stay once you land in Germany (hotel reservation is fine too) and some other things, but you dont need to completely have a plan yet. You can spend your year in Bavaria, work any job you can find, live and learn the culture and language, and most importantly, you have a year to talk and meet with potential future employers. This visa cannot be extended, but if during the course of the year, you find you want to live there longterm and have found a solid job, then just apply for your work visa. You will have no problem surviving provided you have this visa and are willing to do a random job before you get settled down.

In any case, all the best of luck with your move to Bavaria!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!