Youth Visa to Germany -- help!!

For Canadians traveling or living in Germany
thasarNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Youth Visa to Germany -- help!!

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Hello all.

I have a question for anyone who's been granted the Youth Mobility Program for Canadians to go to Germany.

Did they require any proof that you were living in Canada/had lived there for any particular amount of time, etc? I have been living abroad for 20 years but still hold my Canadian passport (and no other passports). I intend to go to Canada before heading to Europe, so am wondering if I might be apply to apply for this visa, or if I'm in some sort of citizenship purgatory...

Also, I know I will need either Canadian or German health insurance cover at the time I apply. Would I be able to get Canadian health insurance without having had a permanent address there for some time, nor a Canadian bank account, etc?

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Thasar
WhoIsJohannaNew Member

Re: Youth Visa to Germany -- help!!

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi Thasar,

I just finished this procedure today actually.
As long as you have your Canadian citizenship you are able to apply for this particular visa. If for instance, during the duration of your work and travel time in Germany you lose your Canadian citizenship, the embassy will not accept your application for the visa. You do not need any proof of living in Canada for a certain time - just the citizenship will do, and you'll need 'bonds to canada' which is a matter of 2-3 names of people you are connected too with phone numbers. You will need to be covered by some sort of health insurance, Canadian or German. For instance, in my case, I'm under Canadian health insurance, so I got travel insurance coverage for Germany. But if for some obscure case, you're covered for Germany and not Canada, that is still okay, as it states on the application: 'proof of Canadian or German health coverage for the intended duration'. The bank account you also don't need, as the visa is free and they don't ask for any bank details.

James
SallyNew Member

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:35 am

Hi, James pretty much told you everything there is to know about the visa.

But I'm pretty sure you're going to need a health insurance plan to cover you while you're in Germany.

You mentioned that you've been living for 20 years abroad so you probably don't have Canadian insurance. So I'd recommend you get a local German insurance plan, that's better in case something happens the procedures will be much simpler. Personally I picked http://www.mawista.com/. The prices were very reasonable to me compared to others.
thasarNew Member
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Post Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:12 pm

hi guys. Thanks so much for the help! That's what I needed to know. :) I know I will definitely need health insurance for Germany when I apply for the visa. Can I buy online, or should I wait til I arrive in Canada? Cheers!
SallyNew Member

Post Thu May 09, 2013 2:11 am

Hi thasar, sorry for my late reply.

Yes you can buy the insurance online if you want to. They'll send you the confirmation that you need when you'll apply for the visa.

The other requirements are listed here: http://www.germany-visa.org/

All the best and good luck,
Sally
ponyboyNew Member

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:21 am

Hey Thasar,

I'm in a similar situation, and wanted to ask if you successfully got your visa. Did they need any proof of current residency? If so, under what form did they ask it for? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you enjoy this post? Share it!